• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[java] Isotope Isometric engine Java version released using sdljava

This topic is 4177 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, This is to let you know that there is a Java version of Isotope now. The documentation for python fits more or less so it should be okay. Download it off the project page. There is also Python and CSharp versions. We're agnostic you know. http://www.webalice.it/simon.gillespie/Isotope.html The engine is not a tile engine and provides quick 3d collision detection for games like the old Knightlore and Cadaver. There is a demo as well so if you cant get something on the screen that looks like a game then send me a mail about it. Simon.

Advertisement
Hi,
Well, I downloaded your engine. It looks very nice. There are a couple things that I have to note. First of all the sdljava.jar does not include any of the dlls neccessary to run your demo. As well as no executable or script to use to run the demo program. As there is no readme file for installation, setup, or configuration as to how to run either the demo or include it in any projects. I did look at the documentation but it seems to be all python based installation and setup instructions which doesn't help for java developers.

Installation & Running Demo Steps Used:
In order to run it I had to download SDLjava and copy all the dlls from it's lib directory to the main Isotope directory and then add that directory path and sdljava.jar to my OS's environment variables CLASSPATH. I also had to download and add SDL.dll SDL_gfx.dll jpeg62.dll png12.dll to the Isotope main directory.

Demo Comments:
In running the demo I saw a ton of amps dropping continuously and was wondering if that was suppose to happen. The controls appear to be extremely sensetive and also took a while to figure out for those that are trying to figure it out.

'a' is to move to the top left
'z' is to move to the bottom right
'o' is to move to the bottom left
'p' is to move to the top right
'm' is to jump
'g' to get and object if next to it

Also the program crashed when I jumped quickly onto the bed and move to the top left of the room facing the wall and jumped again.

P.S. just noticed that the controls are given in the documentation guide provided at your site.

Hi,

Thanks for trying it out. Yep at the moment the java version has strange key response because I could'nt get the events to work properly. This seemed to be specific to sdljava version as pygame and sdl.net didn't have the same problems but it could just be me not used to all the exception trapping.

You are probably the first to run it under windows so thats really great. Yes the amps are supposed to fall as they use a special object which is a factory to generate multiple dissolving type objects. Its really a test system to test the systems speed.

Collision detection is hard work, if more people are interested in the project or you actually start using it to write a game I will sit down and sort it out. Right now its proof of concept.

I myself curse the Classpath everytime I have to startup java. Sorry the sdl stuff isnt included but it makes the system less portable and I'd have to do Mac, Linux, Windows etc. You have actually run my code straight from my Linux box with no alterations which I think is cool.

Thanks once again.

Simon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement