• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Application slow down when cursor is over the taskbar

This topic is 4270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this issue has been discussed before but I couldn't find any information using google, so here we go: I have a windowed DirectX based application, that runs perfect, well above 500 fps at my current setup. I can switch to other applications and work with then (even DirectX ones) and my fps drops slightly as expected. But as soon as I move the mouse cursor onto the task bar (or more specific the start menu, quick launch and program buttons), my application starts to crawl, the fps drops to around 2! What is going on here? I use multiple monitors (two) and I'm having an ATI Radeon X1900XTX graphics adapter with the latest drivers installed (if this is a driver / card issue). Also when I drag my application to the second monitor it slows down to about 15 fps...

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by eq
Also when I drag my application to the second monitor it slows down to about 15 fps...
I get this too (ATI X800 here). The reason is that the second monitor isn't harware accelerated from what I can tell, because the card isn't a true double head card (From what I understand that means you create 2 devices, one for each adapter).

No idea about your main problem unfortunately. Have you tried your app on other systems to see if you get the same result?

Quote:
Original post by eq
But as soon as I move the mouse cursor onto the task bar (or more specific the start menu, quick launch and program buttons), my application starts to crawl, the fps drops to around 2!

If any tooltips become visible when you do so, then yes, this is a known problem with the current architecture--I don't remember the specifics, unfortunately. But basically: If any tooltips become visible when your app is running, your performance will suffer badly.

Quote:
any tooltips become visible when you do so, then yes, this is a known problem with the current architecture--I don't remember the specifics, unfortunately. But basically: If any tooltips become visible when your app is running, your performance will suffer badly.

Ok, just tried this with one of the SDK samples at another computer and I don't see any performance drop (Well a few a fps).
I'll try some other DX app on the problematic computer tomorrow...
It's really weird cause it seems like the whole computer slows down, I.e the mouse cursor starts to stutter etc.. not just my app.

Edit: BTW I think you're right that it's the tooltips that's causing the drop..

Quote:
The reason is that the second monitor isn't harware accelerated from what I can tell, because the card isn't a true double head card (From what I understand that means you create 2 devices, one for each adapter).

Yes it's probably something like that. But I would expect that the rendering would be performed at full speed and then there would be some expensive copying of the buffer to display. But the slowdown seems relative to the performance and not a constant factor, i.e Speed = Factor * OriginalSpeed rather than Speed = OriginalSpeed + Factor.
Quote:

No idea about your main problem unfortunately. Have you tried your app on other systems to see if you get the same result?

No haven't tested it on more than my development kit atm...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement