• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blaze02

What should I do with my metaballs?

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

These have been on the backburner for quite some time. I finally got around to improving them a bit. Here is a screenshot with a solid color and no transparency. And some more screenshots: With transparency Environment mapped Environment mapped with transparency Environment mapped with transparency 2 Granted these pics are rough drafts and nothing is polished. The normal map is not completely smooth, and not completely spherical as it should be. Also, the environment map is 2D and does not have the spherical shape that it should. So the question remains, what should I do with the blobbies? We call them plasmoids in the game. Vertex shaders are out of the question because I do not have vertices to work with. I do have a normal map though. What sort of pixel shader should I apply to these guys? What transparency level works best? Some of the screenshots show them with a transparency concentrated in the center. So any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks for throwing in your 2 cents.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Is that like a lava lamp or something?

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is that like a lava lamp or something?

Is what... what? They are metaballs, aka blobbies, aka energy fields.

I think you should give them life, bring in some heavy AI into the blobbies!
Then you should name them all "Frank" and export them to real-life via some custom plugin! And after some NN training, they should all become presidents in various countries all over the globe! Mwhahaha!

No.. seriously - what you want to do with your blobbies is up to you!
I believe they are to heavy to compute for any game-related use, but I may be wrong?

* Blodsplat on the camera lens, which deforms in realtime, could be cool!
* Create a cell-dividing game... but who would like to play it? :D
* A marble madness game with a blob..but that's been done already...
* Some marble madness game where the GROUND is deformable blobbies!

I'm all out of ideas...

Cheers!

Quote:
Original post by Rasmadrak
I believe they are to heavy to compute for any game-related use, but I may be wrong?

Did you not see my screenies? :)

I came up with a pretty nice algorithm to make them. They are in the game and pretty fun. We are calling them plasmoids. I think they should look something like the static electricity globe thingies. The glass balls you touch that shoots purple sparks to your fingertips. Something like that, but more volume somehow.

I got a reflections looking quite a bit better now than in the screenshot. I started using a 64-bit per pixel texture.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!