Would anyone like to testdrive my shadow program?

Started by
41 comments, last by LordSteiner 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm planning on running this program (link below) which demonstrates various shadow mapping techniques on one of the university's computers but before doing so I'd like to know if there are any compatibility issues across various setups. You'll probably need something equivalent to an ATI Radeon 9600 or nVidia GeForce5. As for controls, just use the left/right mouse button to adjust the view/light. Also, since I'm running this on a fairly high-end rig (Athlon 64 3800+, ATI X1900XTX), performance isn't really much of an issue but I'd appreciate it if any of you could give me a general assessment on performance on your system (there's a built-in FPS counter). Thanks. http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8F4744626A6E5E41 [Edited by - Pasquinel on August 11, 2006 4:32:21 PM]
Advertisement
Include glut32.dll ;)
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Quote:Original post by oscinis
Include glut32.dll ;)

Ah, Thank you. Are there any other files I need to include? I already have glut32.dll embedded in my windows system folder but I can understand how some of these university computers may not have it.
Crashed for me after the second messagebox; no explanation given.
Quote:Original post by CoyCash
Crashed for me after the second messagebox; no explanation given.

So you were able to get past the second messagebox but not the third? There's suppose to be a third message box which pops up verifying if the shaders compiled correctly. If you were only able to get past the second message box, then I think the program's having trouble finding where the "/Models" and "/Textures" folders are located. The zipped file already has all the folders in their correct locations but, just to be on the safe side, make sure those folders are located in the same directory as the "DynamicShadows.exe" executable.
it says "FBO unsupported" or some crap and crashes. wtf is FBO? Why cant people program things in a normal way without using wierd stuff...

I have a GeForce 6800 with latest drivers.

This all brings me to my conclusion that OpenGl should be banned.
Mine says FBO supported then says shader compatible hardware and then crashes, could it be because of a different glut32.dll version ???

My PC specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2ghz
256mb nVidia GeForce 7600GT
1 gb of ram
WinXP SP2
I get through FBO, GLSL, but then it says FBO Configuration usupported. Geforce 7600 GT here.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Quote:Original post by Matt Aufderheide
it says "FBO unsupported" or some crap and crashes. wtf is FBO? Why cant people program things in a normal way without using wierd stuff...

I have a GeForce 6800 with latest drivers.

This all brings me to my conclusion that OpenGl should be banned.

FBO is an acronym for Frame Buffer Objects in OpenGL. Essentially, they allow you to render to a shadow map larger than 1Kx1K and they're potentially faster than the old glCopyTexSubImage2D by rendering directly to texture rather than copying from the framebuffer. Anyway, I'm kind of surprised your GeForce 6800 is getting that message. If anyone else is having any trouble, I could upload a new file with FBOs disabled, you just won't be able to crank the shadow map resolution beyond 1Kx1K.
I get a message saying FBO supported, GLSL enabled, and then it crashes.

I have recommend you implement some sort of debug log.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement