• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Conversion operators (C++)

This topic is 4209 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there everybody, I recently wrote a matrix class (As in, the mathematical tool), which works perfectly for all my matrix needs. I want to write a vector class based on the matrix class, but with a few more bells and whistles specific to vectors. The problem is, I want to avoid rewriting code for things such as multiplication of vectors, subtraction, scalar multiplication, because these are identical to matrices. I figured I could do this by providing a conversion operator to a Matrix type. This would allow me to write:

VectorA = VectorA * VectorB;

However, when compiling, I recieve the following error: error C2676: binary '*' : 'Math::Vector3<_Real>' does not define this operator or a conversion to a type acceptable to the predefined operator Despite providing the following conversion operator inside Vector3:
//_mData is a member of Vector3, of type matrix, and does support binary *
operator Math::Matrix<_Real>()
{
    return _mData;
};

What am I doing wrong? Is this sort of thing even possible? And is there a better way to go about this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Don't know if this will help, but I've just compiled the following:

#include <stdio.h> // at work and don't have the STL :(

class x
{
public:
x(int v) : val(v) { }

int val;
};

x operator*(x a,x b)
{
return x(a.val*b.val);
}

class y
{
public:
y(x v) : val(v) { }

operator x(){ return val; }

x val;
};

void main()
{
y a(2),b(2);

y c=a*b;

printf("%d\n",c.val);
}

and it compiled, ran and produced the output "4" as expected.

As the above poster mentioned, you would have to create an implicit constructor for creating a matrix from a vector.

Isn't it a bit wasteful to create a temporary matrix everytime you want to do vector operations? It seems a bit backwards - wouldn't some matrix operations be done as a series of vector ops as opposed to the other way around?

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
As the above poster mentioned, you would have to create an implicit constructor for creating a matrix from a vector.

The other way around actually. The operator*() will be returning a Matrix, which the OP's then assigning to a Vector.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement