• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
leon24x

special generation of texture coordinates

This topic is 4364 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i'm stuck for a few days now, with a problem I currently have with a project. right now, this forum is the last hope. maybe there is somenbody here which can give me a hint how can i solve my problem... 3d garment models are generated out of two flat 2d front and back bitmaps. actually two simple flat meshes are generated out of the bitmaps and merged together at the sides and then get draped to a model. the problem I have is a special case in generation of texture coordinates. right now I generate the texture coordinates 1:1 to the bitmap. which means that the vertex at position x=150,y=100 has the texture coordinate u=x/w, v=y/h, wereas w and h are the width and the height of the bitmap. so we get the texture coordinates in a range of 0.0 to 1.0, nothing special so far. now we want to add extra texture area at the sides of the garment optionally, allowing the user to add additional stuff like stripes and lines. currently I absolutely have no clue how I can realize this. The following links shows an image where this additional area is shown in red, additionally to the actual geometry of the garment which is colored white ( www.revolution3d.net/temp2/short_ex.JPG) First I tried to simply multiply my texture coodinates (only the x coordinate to have only the horizontal area affected) with a factor by 1.1f i.e., but this is dirstoring and producing artifacts, mostly at edges where two sides meet together. the following image show a situation where this would happens ( www.revolution3d.net/temp2/short_ex2.JPG ) Adding additional geometry at the sides is not an alternative because its not hard to implement into the existing system. I do have the apprehension there could be a very simple way of doing this but it simply don't get it? is there somebody of you which does have a solution for this, I'm really stuck at the moment and happy about every small idea or hint... regards, Simon [Edited by - leon24x on August 11, 2006 4:11:25 AM]

Advertisement
Yes, I also thought about using another layer, either geometrical or mutli-texturing. however I need to stay with my 1-layer-geometry. the garment mesh generated by my application has to be compatible with an standard 3d modelling application later on and has to be a solid mesh with no overlapping or layers so I can't do this.

thank you very much for your idea, anyway...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!