• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game tester

This topic is 4212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got some question concerning the game tester job. -What 6 skills do you think a good games tester will have? -What type of bug reporting system and process do you think is used? -What skills do you think that SEGA consider being important when recruiting games testers? If you've got any answers, don't hesitate. cheers !!

Advertisement
lol, I hope you're not asking us to answer questions that you should be answering for a coverletter.

Hey there!

I've just got a job at SEGA Europe too, been there four weeks now. Which SEGA are you applying to? You shouldn't really be asking the application form questions on a forum when you should be answering them yourselves [smile]

I'll give you some help anyway, a games tester should be passionate about games, you might end up on a kids game, a game you completly hate, but you still need to test it well. They need to have excellent attention for detail and excellent communication skills. You need to be able to write up bug reports in a way that allows the developers to understand the problem right away. You need to include detailed steps to reproduce the bug, screenshots, videos, configuration details, hardware specs, what should actually be happpening (e.g. Expected result: Units should not walk through walls.).

A tester should also work well in a team enviroment and communicate well with the rest of the team. They also need to be able to prioritize tasks to ensure things that need to be done to let others carry on working are done first (so as testing the maps before the scripts because the mappers can't carry on working until its tested where as the scripters can).

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Original post by Morpheus011
why don't you ask SEGA?

good answer

Quote:
Original post by Smit
Hey there!

I've just got a job at SEGA Europe too, been there four weeks now. Which SEGA are you applying to? You shouldn't really be asking the application form questions on a forum when you should be answering them yourselves [smile]

I'll give you some help anyway, a games tester should be passionate about games, you might end up on a kids game, a game you completly hate, but you still need to test it well. They need to have excellent attention for detail and excellent communication skills. You need to be able to write up bug reports in a way that allows the developers to understand the problem right away. You need to include detailed steps to reproduce the bug, screenshots, videos, configuration details, hardware specs, what should actually be happpening (e.g. Expected result: Units should not walk through walls.).

A tester should also work well in a team enviroment and communicate well with the rest of the team. They also need to be able to prioritize tasks to ensure things that need to be done to let others carry on working are done first (so as testing the maps before the scripts because the mappers can't carry on working until its tested where as the scripters can).

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot !!!

Gee, I can almost guarentee that there are people from sega browsing these forums this very instant.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Im not actually interested in testing, but as this seems to be the closest i can get i guess itll do...Like most people on here, i really want to learn to program. I started trying at 14, i used the old halflife mod engine, it sucked, didnt get far got distracted etc. I recently, being 17 now and about to apply for uni, started with c++, i am using the 21 days book which i find very helpful. I really want some advice about career choices. I am a physics freak. I love reading about QED, and i am thinking of doing a course on the subject at university. How does doing a course in physics help/hinder my programming options. If i graduate with a physics degree, can i move that into game design? Id be good at the maths. Its really a question of whether i do computer science or Physics. I prefer physics but i think i might like to take game design as a career. Does engineering help? Should i do a graduate course? Are there any physicists who are now working in game development now? Does graduating from say MIT or Caltech give me any kind of edge over the other "game schools"? do the professional game teams look at these places when drawing for their members? i dont think id be able to graduate and then join a small scale team, id need to start earning money pronto. If i take the physics option where does that leave me???

I AM passionate about designing...i really do want to get into the game..(haha) but i dont know how the hell to do that....

I will finish my msc studies in 3 weeks.
I have applied for lots of game companies, but none kept my application.
Computer games companies are quiet demanding. It's like when they are looking for graduate programmer, the programmer should be as good as a senior programmer...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement