• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lordcorm

how to organize a team?

This topic is 4477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Well i was wondering how you split up work on a team as in like how do you make it so that if im mkaing the storyline and he is making the monsters that they match up in the end and work?

Advertisement
Communicate. Be sure to have frequent meetings and work out what each of you is going to do for a week or day. Like say "I am going to make such and such a section of the story, and we will need to use so and so monsters".

I'm working on this little project with him and again, he biggest thing for us is we don't know how to separate the work so it will fit togethor in the end.

one person can work on a graphics core
one the sound
one the story ect ect ect you just have to assign jobs and have people that know what they are doing ;)
-Cory

Some random tips:

- WRITE A DESIGN DOCUMENT!!!!!

- DESIGN FOR CHANGE! Do not write the design in a stone.

- Identify tasks. Tasks should be as short as possible. A long task usually can be divided in several shorter ones. Short tasks keep people happy.

- Tasks should not depend on other tasks. And if they do, you have to schedule them so task B is not started until task A is complete. Waiting for other member of the team to finish his work before you can start yours is a complete waste of time.

- People work better when they have objectives and rewards. Short tasks mean clear objectives ("Make a 256 pixels image for this monster doing this action"), while long tasks mean blurry objectives ("Make the graphics for all the monsters").

- For an artist, the reward is seeing his art in the game. For the programmer, the reward is seeing the new feature in the game. In both cases, you'll need to keep releasing new builds of the game periodically, adding whatever the team members produced.

- If you have several programmers (several = more than 1), you'll need to design the class hierarchies, interfaces, etc... in paper before you code a single line. Look into UML and other software engineering tools.

- All the work the artist makes before the content pipelines are stablished, can become lost time later in the project.

- Stablish the content pipelines as soon as possible in the project. The sooner you solve all the problems related with integration of art in the game, the sooner your artist can begin with productive work.

- Iterative development is your friend. Divide the project in milestones, and identify features you'll like to be implemented for each. Then divide the milestones in several iterations. In each iteration, you get a bit closer to the objectives.

- Communication is key. Keep everyone informed of the project's status. What is the next milestone? What new features did the last build have? Which ones are missing?

- Don't recruit anyone unless you can give him a work to do. When someone gets in a team (say, an artist), he brings a great deal of enthusiasm and is willing to work. You don't want it to get wasted in pointless tests of how to make monsters the way you can later load them in the game.

You need to solve that yourself. When that's ready, get the artist and tell them what he will be doing and how. When he's done the work (or better, as he's doing it, and releasing each one of the monsters), insert it into the next build in the game, and reward him.

- Avoid large teams. They have too much enthropy.

Hope it helps!

I can madnate any situation, PLEASE let me help you.

A team is a unit, like any OBJECT. YOu have a tank, the components work as a team to complete the objective. Every decision you make is BINARY, YES or NO. Every time you make a decision it is SEALED forever. There will always be the OPTIMUM decision in any situation.

Focus on what you want, specialize. Know exactly what is needed. Form LEADERSHIP. There must be a driving focus, and primary control system, just like the shape of a PYRDAMID.

FInally, beyond communication, beyond eating right and sleeping well, beyond lifestyle and anything else i can type on this bord and praddle to you.

REMAIN IN TRUE UNIFORM SOLIDARITY. Form yourselfs with each other to be unbreakable and powerfull like a diamond, and with that resolution focus your driver multiplicative dertimination on the true truth of your investment and desire. Allow for NOTHING but punctilious aboslute perfection!

The one thing that is most important (but nobody mentioned it):

Make a plan!

As you go along, you will need to work out the details of the plan, and change the plan to fit reality. As long as you have a plan, everyone will have a good idea of how everything is supposed to fit together.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
The one thing that is most important (but nobody mentioned it):

Make a plan!

As you go along, you will need to work out the details of the plan, and change the plan to fit reality. As long as you have a plan, everyone will have a good idea of how everything is supposed to fit together.

Right you are there!

Also, like someone mentioned above, COMMUNICATE!! You must talk to each other! If you don't, then people will start wandering off, and your project will soon fail.

I think a plan, and communication is the most important aspect in a good team IMHO.

Chad

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!