bump mapping problems

Started by
4 comments, last by QuadMV 17 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone, I took the below code right out of the MS docs, to use as a starting point for adding bumpmapping to my engine. I don't think the results are right, and was looking for guidance. If you look at the following screen shots you'll see it looks more like blending than a bumpmap: http://samples2.3dmuve.com:8080/photoalbum_preview.cgi?screenshots/011_bumpmapping_test I didn't think bumpmapping was just a fancy term for texture blending? It's not supposed to be a light map or shade map, is it? I thought it was actually supposed to affect the way HW lighting works? Now what also threw me was the environment map. The MS sample requires an environ map and a bump map along with the base texture. In this example it's brick, and brick wont really reflect it's suroundings. If I use an all white or all black texture it looks like I'm not doing anything at all. I chose the ground texture which demonstrates a nice blend, but still not the bump affect I was hoping for. Does anyone have any suggestions on whay I'm doing wrong, or another way to approach this? Thanks

// Set the color operations and arguments to prepare for
//   bump mapping.

// Stage 0: The base texture
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE ); 
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 1 );

// Stage 1: The bump map - Use luminance for this example.
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 1 );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_BUMPENVMAPLUMINANCE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT );

// Stage 2: A specular environment map
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 0 );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_ADD );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT );

When the blending operations and arguments are set, the following code example sets the 2x2 bump mapping matrix to the identity matrix by setting the D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAPMAT00 and the D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAPMAT11 members of D3DTEXTURESTAGESTATETYPE to 1.0. Setting the matrix to the identity causes the system to use the delta values in the bump map unmodified, but this is not a requirement.

// Set the bump mapping matrix.
//
// Note  These calls rely on the following inline shortcut function:
//   inline DWORD F2DW( FLOAT f ) { return *((DWORD*)&f); }
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAT00, F2DW(1.0f) );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAT01, F2DW(0.0f) );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAT10, F2DW(0.0f) );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVMAT11, F2DW(1.0f) );

// Set luminance controls. This is only needed when using
// a bump map that contains luminance, and when the 
// D3DTOP_BUMPENVMAPLUMINANCE texture blending operation is
// being used.
//
// Note  These calls rely on the following inline shortcut function:
//   inline DWORD F2DW( FLOAT f ) { return *((DWORD*)&f); }
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVLSCALE, F2DW(0.5f) );
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_BUMPENVLOFFSET, F2DW(0.0f) );

3DMUVE is an amateur game development team, and the designer and developer of a new gaming technology “MUVE” for the gaming industry.
Advertisement
Is my issue the format of the bumpmap itself? Do I need to convert it? It's currently a grey scale image, but maybe that's a mistake?

Thanks
3DMUVE is an amateur game development team, and the designer and developer of a new gaming technology “MUVE” for the gaming industry.
i don't actually know but try playing with it for a while until someone reply's :) atleast worth a try :).
and did u make the renderer yourself ?
im getting pretty interested in your engine maybe cause im now learning how to build a particle system if my particle system is good (i want it to look next gen) we can work together on it cause after i learned particle system im gonna learn building a renderer (wich im gonna make next gen looking aswell) im a amateur but it will be a great learning experience.
Havok1989, I have played with it a bit, and if I'm doing something wrong (which I'm sure I am) I'm just not sure what it is.

The entire engine is all me, but I'm taking a very different approach I believe from what others do. For one, I'm not concerned with the engine looking perfect as much as I want it to look reasonable so it's not overlooked, but I believe it's the game play that will differenciate things. Unfortunately, I may never get to the game play because I always seem to go back and enhance things more and more :-)

Also, I have no levels. My vision is for a seamless, auto expanding (paging) universe, so as you travel things just load. Not only on a single planet, traveling accross oceans, but to also have giant indoor environments that the player can seamlessly enter without delay. I want to exit the planet to space and from space to another planet without delay. I want to be able to construct a large facitility in game and have it just appear without delay, interior and all. Just a completly virtual and seamless universe. It sounds simple enough but no one does it. My engine does :-)

I'm actually almost done, everything I mentioned above is in place, I'm just tweaking some things (bump mapping, shadows), and then will start to build my game world.

Do you have a download of this?
I hope to release a test environment sometime soon, but nothing yet. The only thing I have for now are some simple videos and screen shots. http://www.3dmuve.com

However, I don't want to forget the original post. If anyone has any suggestions on my bump mapping woes, I'd appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement