• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sepheroth

what program to use

This topic is 4454 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
have you read the forum FAQ? It has a good set of Q&A that should get you started & answer your current question

-me

Game Maker is excellent for getting your feet wet. It will introduce you to simple coding, and some of the concepts you will use when you advance.
Unless you happen to know someone who is a expert in DarkBasic, Id avoid it. The number of errors in the manuals, and any recent books(due to the regular updating) is pretty discouraging to a begginer.
I think your best bet is going to be a Drag and Drop type programs such as GameMaker. If your really interested in making RPG's I would check out the RPGMaker series,its tailored to the genre. Whatever you decide on, Have fun.

Well, if you are concentrating on just the programming aspect I'd recommend Microsoft's Visual C++ 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 (there is an free version called Visual Studio Express Edition with some limitations at the MS website), there are a few more debug features in the 2005 version, though I do not own it, that's just what I've read. There is one thing about programming, however, it is very hard work, you should begin with something like BASIC (MS VC++ 2003 does not support BASIC as far as I know, but MS Visual Basic Express Edition from the website is a free IDE and I would download that if you are interested) then C++ I jumped to C++ straight away and I don't regret it, but that's just my personal experience. If, however, uou want to create just the models for games, then maybe you should use Calagari GameSpace Light (it's free, with limitations). If you want to learn how games are created a package such as FPS Creator or some GUI-oriented application such as this would work best. I hope this information will help aid you in your future endeavours, good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!