• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Yes/No 'Pay money for an amazing 2D game'

This topic is 4208 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My first post, my first question! And before you label me as biased, or put me into that convenient stereotype you have been wating to nourish, why don't you act like a human and give me a chance? Of course, when I mean a great 2D game, im talking something that is revolutionary and amazing, while being everthing that 2D game is loved for. In other words to best of the old and new. Imagine the finest 2D brawler side scrollers from MAME and the real arcades blended with the finess and quality of the Ogre Battle cover art. SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Old_School_2D
My first post, my first question! And before you label me as biased, or put me into that convenient stereotype you have been wating to nourish, why don't you act like a human and give me a chance?

How about you act like a human and give us the chance to be civil to you, instead of being rude and assuming that we will jump on your ass.

Quote:
SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?

I buy every 2D castlevania. I couldn't give less of a shit about the 3D castlevanias, because they just don't have the same appeal.

Games are games, and the number of dimensions used to display the world is irrelevant. Some games are better 3D, some better 2D. In the end, I buy a game because it is a good game.

In short, yes.

If a game is reeeeeally good, the graphics are the less important thing..

you know, people tend to forget it but.. games are suposed to be fun, whether they are squares falling and you have to sort them by their shape or if it is a 3D-huge mech firing rockets and laserbeams..

PS: yes.. I have just mentioned tetris and mech warrior, I know, I know.. perhaps it's not the best example of a incredible good graphic game (cuz it's old), but on it's time those graphics really kicked ass.. but still, there where some people that preferred a nice afternoon of tetris..

I hope you get what I'm trying to say..

Same answer here as JBourrie's: Don't open with a defense for an attack that doesn't yet (and may never) exist, and a bit more coherence wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, 2D games have just as much potential as 3D games (plus they don't suffer from poor camera control/reactions). Hell, I'd like to see more 0D (text) games out there.

The genre and medium for the game is far less important than the game itself. I'll play nearly anything as long as it's good. I'm not typically an action-game guy, but I absolutely loved Ratchet and Crank 3 and played through every second. The same goes for God of War (though I never beat it). It's not typically a genre of game I typically play, but it was just that damn good and I enjoyed it as much as any RPG or RTS out there.

I love 2D games, the simplicity lends it's self to more focus on gameplay and I wish more indie developers would take advantage of this. So yes I would pay for a good 2D game (just as I would pay for a good 3D game like everyone else has said)
I'd pay for a game in any dimension if it was worth it.

However...
The word "revolutionary" makes me soft. Seeing as in the last 10 years of gaming I've yet to see a game be "revolutionary" in any decent sense of the word I'm gonna go out on a limb and take that as buzz word abuse.

How about making a game that's fun! Now that I'll buy.

Quote:

Imagine the finest 2D brawler side scrollers from MAME and the real arcades blended with the finess and quality of the Ogre Battle cover art.

SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?

Absolutely. Where I can find that game?

I prefer the 'feel' of 2D over 3D and there are many 2D titles out there still with many, many players. Some games take 2D backgrounds and place 3D sprites on them. For example, www.conqueronline.com.

Another that springs to mind and has taken many hours of my time, is Soldat (www.soldat.pl). But back on topic, yes I would definately pay for 2D. Hell, Soldat pulls the fun factor off so well that I have registered a copy twice when you don't even need to!

Quote:
Original post by CyberSlag5k
Same answer here as JBourrie's: Don't open with a defense for an attack that doesn't yet (and may never) exist, and a bit more coherence wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, 2D games have just as much potential as 3D games (plus they don't suffer from poor camera control/reactions). Hell, I'd like to see more 0D (text) games out there.

The genre and medium for the game is far less important than the game itself. I'll play nearly anything as long as it's good. I'm not typically an action-game guy, but I absolutely loved Ratchet and Crank 3 and played through every second. The same goes for God of War (though I never beat it). It's not typically a genre of game I typically play, but it was just that damn good and I enjoyed it as much as any RPG or RTS out there.

Thirded. I don't care whether it's text-based, 2D, or 3D, I only care whether it's fun.

Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by CyberSlag5k

Thirded. I don't care whether it's text-based, 2D, or 3D, I only care whether it's fun.

Fourthed. The fun factor of a game is what should make it sell. I wouldn't spend buttloads of money on a superfast machine just so I could play a game that requires a supercomputer to have those photorealistic graphics. I would rather turn the graphics down and enjoy the gameplay.

In addition to what the others have already said, remember that people are still purchasing 2d games every single day on platforms such as mobile phones and handheld systems like the Nintendo DS.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
In addition to what the others have already said, remember that people are still purchasing 2d games every single day on platforms such as mobile phones and handheld systems like the Nintendo DS.

Not to mention Morning Wrath, wasn't that 2D? I haven't played it, but people seemed to like it. I love Diablo 2, and that is fully 2D in a psuedo 3D art style, as well as Maple Story (A excellant MMORPG, which was free to play, but cost money for certain features) and multiple RPG games for PS2 like Champions of Norrath and Dark Alliance 2, if those were 2D(I'm not certain). Also, people pay small amounts of money for those little flash games like Cubis, Collapse, etc... If you build it good, people will pay.

I love 2D games. I'll take any SNES RPG over just about any 3D RPG I've seen. Why? Because without the flashy 3D graphics to wow players, they had to focus on things like gameplay, character development, balance (thats an important one,) story, and fun. One of the things that drastically changed with many post-SNES RPGs, is that they suddenly became these rediculously long, Epic 70+ hour games with 20+ hours of cut-scene. On the SNES, they seemed to cram more fun into a 20-30 hour game that, to me at least, seemed to be exacly as long as it needed and not a moment longer. They left me feeling that the story was complete (though not neccesarily finished, as a plot point) and that I had spent enough time with each character to get to know them and become proficient with them in battle. At the same time, I never felt that the plot dragged or that I had to grind through some portion of the game. Certainly this didn't apply to every RPG of the time, but it did with the ones I played. They had great, diverse artwork and more importantly they had style, something that the majority of 3D games struggle to pull off even today. The mass-market games of today are also noticably easier than many games of yesteryear. Go back and play some NES classics like megaman, ninja gaiden, or DuckTales (OK, so its not a 'classic' perse but I played it a lot as a kid.) I guarantee you'll be frustrated at your inability to progress through a game that your 8-year-old self played with ease. Back in the day, skill was the primary obsticle in conquering a game, today its just a matter of time -- all you have to do is play longer, not better.

Unfortunately, most of the mainstream gaming crowd only seems to be impressed by fancy graphics, bigger, faster, newer, etc. A site like Gamedev is honestly more than a little skewed away from this mainstream gamer mentality. Which is not to say that the oppinions expressed here are invalid, merely that they represent a subset of the current gaming culture, the set that typically was or would have been the 'gamer' crowd in the classic sense. But we can't forget that today there's a PS2 in every frat almost constantly playing the latest EA sports title and very seldom anything else. For the most part, post SNES gamers associate 2D games with being obsolete, kiddy, or worse, lame - not even worth investigating.

OK, I guess this has become a bit of a rant, but the bottom line is that there are those who will appreciate a great 2D game. A great 2D game with alot of flash (that still holds onto the tenants of classic 2D) may pull in a few mainstream gamers as well, but I don't think we'll ever see a 2D game that appeals to the same group of mainstream gamers as say, GTA 3 or EA Sports Titles or reaches as large of an audience.

To be successful, play to the strengths of 2D, such as gameplay, style, precision and fun-factor. Add to that formula, a dash of new school: A great particle system, maybe 3D backdrops or characters, do something that the hardware of the 2D era simply couldn't handle... Smash Bros. is actually a pretty excelent example of what is esentially a 2D game being brought into the new era.

I certainly would (and have) paid money for good 2D games. I really enjoy (like pretty much anyone else who has played them) Mario. However, unlike alot of people, I only like the 2D mario. The 3D ones are... pointless to me. It doesn't add anything to the gameplay, and just means that you spend more time messing with the camera angle and going around in circles looking for a door or something. I'd much rather play the 2D games.How about RTSes? Being 3D doesn't help an RTS in any way than looking somewhat better, so I don't think it's necessary at all.

Some games, of course, use 3D-ness very nicely. Morrowind is a good example, even better than Oblivion. It had some real nice height to it's world, like that moon-thingee over Vivec city, and the levitation spell, and some really big caverns with huge stalagtites/mites and ramps winding their way up them. The cliff parts of Half-Life was fantastic, and couldn't have been done at all in 2D.

So, if being 3D helps it as a game, then it's worth it. If not, then I couldn't care less whether or not it's 3D or 2D.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement