Totally brand new

Started by
3 comments, last by antxsperry 17 years, 8 months ago
Well im starting in game programming as a career and i'm quite a bit lost. from what i know C++ is the core programming language stuff and so i have a book on it and looking to order more books on it. but along with C++ i know there's other things i need to learn. and i have no idea what it is. i don't know what kind of gamming stuff i want to get into. i know there's a lot of different verieties though from character artist to just straight programming. i honestly have no programming experience what-so-ever. i was hoping anyone could help me in this info to get me going in a better direction. books, sites, anything like that would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
If you are lost, then I suggest you DON'T start with C++ if you can avoid it. Instead, try Python (google it). Python is much easier, and can teach you the basics which you can later apply to C++.

These forums can help when you get stuck and we're generally very good about pointing you in the right direction.

Update:
If you want books, the Book list here on GDNet should help quite a bit.

If you really want/need to stick with C++, then I suggest you get the Visual C++ Express Edition IDE/Compiler. It's free, and can be found at MSDN.Microsoft.com
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
try Python (google it). Python is much easier, and can teach you the basics which you can later apply to C++.

not bad. arrr maybe good thing for start.

the guy who create whole game learn everything. everything...the guy is most busy in this planet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Direct link to my game. this game has commercial quality. (and very enjoyable)

the page that the game link on.
Your right you have quite a few options to choose from for a game development career path. There are many different avenues you can venture, but first ask yourself what you like to do. Do you like science, math, English, history, art, etc? If you like math and since you might be best suited for a programmer, if you like history, English, art you might be better off learning the artistic side of development.

Assuming you are entirely new and think programming works, I wouldn't even suggest learning programming on your own. I know most people on gamedev can, but it might be better to take a college level course on intro to computer science or computer programming. This way you have an instructor teaching you the basics, once you feel comfortable learn something on your own. This of course is in no way a required way to do it, but it might be easier then learning it on your own.

Assuming you like the artistic side look into art classes, creative writing, 3d modeling, texturing, Photoshop, illustrator, all that fun stuff.
thanks everyone for the advice. i'll make sure to check all of those things out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement