• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Short IT courses

This topic is 4208 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I apologize, I don't know where else to put this thread. Has anyone ever taken a short IT course? The sort of one that costs a few grand and lasts about 75 days. Typical course titles are Web development, Cisco Network Engineering, IT Security, Web Development etc. I was thinking of doing the 2nd or 3rd one. I wanted to do it part time but don't know which company to trust as I know of someone that got conned. Most companies say they are accredited by Microsoft, Cisco etc but how would I know they are not lying? Most companies also say that you would get a guaranteed job in the 6 months that you pass otherwise they will pay back the money you took from the governent (Career Development Loan). Does anyone have any strong opinions, success stories or advice about these courses? Better yet, can anyone recommend a company (in London) that offers these courses?

Advertisement
Really unless you are already a master in the field I wouldn't recomend a accelerated program. From what I have seen and heard these are pretty much designed for people who already know what they are doing, but just need the piece of paper to prove it.

On the other note with the work guarantee I wouldn't give it much weight. What type of job are they promiseing you after all. Are they promiseing you a job within the field, are they promiseing you a job with a set amount of income, or are they promising you that Wal-mart or another department would hire you the moment you put in a application.

is Open University in London?

I do have computing experience. I'm doing a course in Computer Science and am in my second year. I just have little practical experience messing around with hardware and stuff like that.

They are actually offering a job in the industry with a starting salary of something like 18K. They said the help you with your CV and stuff but anything other than that is beyond me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement