• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
patrrr

Bloom / glow

This topic is 4387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've got a question about implementating a glow or "bloom" effect, I know that you basically render the scene as usual, then you render it again but with different textures which tell where there should be glow. ("glowmaps"?) The second pass is rendered onto a texture and a blur effect is applied. But how do you apply that texture to the scene? Using an orthonormal projection? And how would you do this in shaders? Thanks.

Advertisement
you render a fullscreen quad and combine the bloom texture and the scene without bloom with a pixelshader.

Quote:
Original post by m4gnus
you render a fullscreen quad and combine the bloom texture and the scene without bloom with a pixelshader.

Typically you don't even need a shader, the final result is usually just done as finalScene = originalScene + blurResult. This can be done with simple additive blending or multitexturing (depending on what you've already got in the framebuffer to work with).

Quote:
Original post by patrrr
But how do you apply that texture to the scene?
Using an orthonormal projection?

When you render the second pass, all geometry is projected into screenspace already. You don't need to project the result again, you just render it in screenspace.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!