• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Me vs. Pointers : Round 5

This topic is 4301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy! I have a question about my piece of code that i dont understand. Well, its a piece of code from my book altered by me. My questions will be within the code as comments. Thanks for any help.
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

string* GetItem(vector<string>* pWeapon, int num);

int main()
{
	vector<string> weapon;
	weapon.push_back("knife");
	weapon.push_back("mp5");
	weapon.push_back("armor");

cout << "Sending a returned pointer to cout:\n"
		 << *GetItem(&weapon,0) << "\n\n"; // why do i have to put the * symbol infront of the function call?

cout << "Assigning a returned pointer to a variable:\n";
	string item = *GetItem(&weapon,1);
	cout << item << "\n\n";

cout << "Assigning a returned pointer to a pointer:\n";
	string* pItem = GetItem(&weapon,2);
	cout << *pItem << "\n\n";

cout << "Changing the third item with a pointer:\n";
	*pItem = "Awp";
	cout << *pItem << "\n\n";

return 0;
}

string* GetItem(vector<string>* pWeapon, int num)
{
	return &(*pWeapon)[num]; // why do i have to put the & in the return statement, along with the * symbol? what is this doing? I know its returning the value, but how are the symbols commanding this?
}

Advertisement
Quote:

// why do i have to put the * symbol infront of the function call?

Because the function returns a string pointer so you need to dereference the returned pointer to see the actual string value.

Quote:

// why do i have to put the & symbol in the return statement when i want to return the value of pWeapon?

You're not returning a value, you are returning a pointer. See first you dereference the vector pointer so you can get at its elements, (*pWeapon). Then you access element num, [num] and return a pointer to that element by adding & to the front of the statement.

Quote:
Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
cout << "Sending a returned pointer to cout:\n"
<< *GetItem(&weapon,0) << "\n\n"; // why do i have to put the * symbol infront of the function call?
}

GetItem returns a pointer to std::string. If you print it out, you will se the memory address of the std::string. Since you want to print out the contents, you need to dereference the pointer with the * operator.
Quote:
Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
string* GetItem(vector<string>* pWeapon, int num)
{
return &(*pWeapon)[num]; // why do i have to put the & symbol in the return statement when i want to return the value of pWeapon?
}

(*pWeapon)[num] returns an std::string, but the function GetItem must return a pointer to std::string. In order to return a pointer, you use the & operator to get the address of the std::string.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!