Polygons drawn out of order

Started by
9 comments, last by MARS_999 17 years, 8 months ago
How do I draw the polygons in the following screenshot in the correct order? I made sure to call glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST). I even try it precisely before the drawing code, but it's making no difference. What could be wrong? I'm using orthographic projection btw. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/luisjoseromero/out_of_order.jpg here's the code that draws the surface

S3DPoint Point1S, Point2S, Point3S, Point4S;

glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);

for(int nCurrLayer = 0; nCurrLayer < (*this->m_pVecLayers2C).size(); nCurrLayer++)
	{

fV = 0.0;

for(int nCurrVTri = 0; nCurrVTri < nRes; nCurrVTri++)
		{

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);

float fU = 0;

for(int nCurrUTri = 0; nCurrUTri < nRes; nCurrUTri++)
				{

Point1S = (*this->m_pVecLayers2C)[nCurrLayer]->GetEvalPoint(fU, fV);
					Point2S = (*this->m_pVecLayers2C)[nCurrLayer]->GetEvalPoint(fU, fV+fVInc);
					Point3S = (*this->m_pVecLayers2C)[nCurrLayer]->GetEvalPoint(fU+fUInc, fV);
					Point4S = (*this->m_pVecLayers2C)[nCurrLayer]->GetEvalPoint(fU+fUInc, fV+fVInc);

fU += fUInc;

C3DVector Vec21C(Point2S.m_dX-Point1S.m_dX, Point2S.m_dY-Point1S.m_dY, Point2S.m_dZ-Point1S.m_dZ);
					C3DVector Vec34C(Point3S.m_dX-Point4S.m_dX, Point3S.m_dY-Point4S.m_dY, Point3S.m_dZ-Point4S.m_dZ);
					C3DVector Vec31C(Point3S.m_dX-Point1S.m_dX, Point3S.m_dY-Point1S.m_dY, Point3S.m_dZ-Point1S.m_dZ);
					C3DVector Vec24C(Point2S.m_dX-Point4S.m_dX, Point2S.m_dY-Point4S.m_dY, Point2S.m_dZ-Point4S.m_dZ);
					// first normal
					C3DVector Normal1C(Vec21C^Vec31C);
					Normal1C.Normalize();
					Normal1C.Negate();
					// last normal
					C3DVector Normal4C(Vec34C^Vec24C);
					Normal4C.Normalize();
					Normal4C.Negate();

glNormal3d(Normal1C.m_dX, Normal1C.m_dY, Normal1C.m_dZ);
					glVertex3f(Point1S.m_dX, Point1S.m_dY, Point1S.m_dZ);
					glVertex3f(Point2S.m_dX, Point2S.m_dY, Point2S.m_dZ);
					glVertex3f(Point3S.m_dX, Point3S.m_dY, Point3S.m_dZ);
					glNormal3d(Normal4C.m_dX, Normal4C.m_dY, Normal4C.m_dZ);
					glVertex3f(Point4S.m_dX, Point4S.m_dY, Point4S.m_dZ);

}// end for

glEnd();

fV += fVInc;

}// end for

}// end for

Advertisement
I'm going to claim that depth testing isn't performed, even though you said you enabled it. Just enabling the test is not enough, you must have a depth buffer aswell. Check the pixel format; no depth buffer, no depth test.
Here's the code for the pixel format descriptor
The depth buffer is set to 16 bits

// set the pixel format we want    PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR PFDS = {    sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR),	// size of structure    1,                              // default version    PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |            // window drawing support    PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |            // OpenGL support    PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER,               // double buffering support    PFD_TYPE_RGBA,                  // RGBA color mode    32,								// 32 bit color mode    0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,               // ignore color bits, non-palettized mode    0,                              // no alpha buffer    0,                              // ignore shift bit    0,                              // no accumulation buffer    0, 0, 0, 0,                     // ignore accumulation bits    16,                             // 16 bit z-buffer size    0,                              // no stencil buffer    0,                              // no auxiliary buffer    PFD_MAIN_PLANE,                 // main drawing plane    0,                              // reserved    0, 0, 0 };                      // layer masks ignored      
Oh by the way this is the code for the orthographic projection

// set the perspective with the appropriate aspect ratio	if(pDimS_->nX <= pDimS_->nY)	{			glOrtho(-this->m_dAspRatioScale, this->m_dAspRatioScale, -this->m_dAspRatioScale*pDimS_->nY/pDimS_->nX, this->m_dAspRatioScale*pDimS_->nY/pDimS_->nX, 0.5, 1000.0);	}else	{		glOrtho(-this->m_dAspRatioScale*pDimS_->nX/pDimS_->nY, this->m_dAspRatioScale*pDimS_->nX/pDimS_->nY, -this->m_dAspRatioScale, this->m_dAspRatioScale, 0.5, 1000.0);	}// end else
well if you're trying to draw the polygons in 3D you're going to want to be using a perspective projection, not an orthographic one. The orthographic projection essentially flattens your scene, thereby eliminating any depth you could hope to be seeing in the image.

change to perspective mode and see if that gives you the desired results.
Quote:Original post by Morpheus011
well if you're trying to draw the polygons in 3D you're going to want to be using a perspective projection, not an orthographic one. The orthographic projection essentially flattens your scene, thereby eliminating any depth you could hope to be seeing in the image.

change to perspective mode and see if that gives you the desired results.

Uh, no.

Ortho projection still has depth, it just doesn't do the perspective divide (ie. objects don't get smaller as they move further away). Depth values and zbuffering works just fine.

Journey: Your framebuffer setup is slightly odd, generally you should request a depth buffer the same size as your colour buffer (so if you're requesting a 32bit colour buffer, you should request a 32bit depth buffer, not a 16bit one). Mismatched formats tend to either fail to create or are unoptimal.

Unfortunately I can't remember the pixelformat params off the top of my head, but I'd guess you've got the '16' in the wrong place. After you've created your display use glGet(GL_DEPTH_BITS) to double check you're actually getting a zbuffer.

Also, check you've got an appropriate depth func set, typically you want GL_LEQUAL.
I set the depth buffer to 32 bits and it returned 24 with glGetIntegerv()
I set the color depth to the same value. I set the function to GL_LEQUAL, and the problem is still there. Changing to perspective works though, but it would be much nicer to make it work in orthographic projection.
Orangy, what I was implying was that the perception of depth is lost in an orthographic projection, because, as you said there is no perspective divide. Without the perspective divide our perception of depth becomes skewed, hence why the image the OP was getting may not have matched the image he was aiming for.

IMO Orthographic projections, in general, are not meant for drawing 3D scenes. They are best saved for engineering schematics such as in a CAD application, which I believe was what they were used for long before computer graphics became relavent, or for HUD elements (that's what I generally use them for). Sorry if I was misleading in my wording.

I would like to know though, why do you want to do this in orthographic if you have it working in perspective now?
I just thought it looked "neater". So is there a way to make the depth buffer work with orthographic projection?
Make sure your far-plane is a large enough value as well... I made that error once, substituting the far-plane value with a "viewdistance" - but I forgot to set it to any value bigger than 0!

It almost drove me mad, but luckily I found the answer before going nuts. ;)
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement