best 2d engine to use with C++?

Started by
6 comments, last by Ultimate_Fusion 17 years, 8 months ago
I am wanting to make a 2d game and need an interface to go with c++. is there an engine that has a graphics library with it? and if so or not what is the best one to use? thanks in advance
Advertisement
I'd recommend Allegro (Wikipedia) if you want a complete 2D game library, although I havn't used it myself I've heard it's good.

If you want a really good graphics library for doing 2D stuff, you should use SDL (Wikipedia), it has alot of awesome extentions such as SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf and so on which allows you do other stuff too.

Hope that helps you.

There's also ClanLib and HGE, both of which are fairly complete in terms of range of functionality.
I'd recommend SDL. It is VERY easy to use. YOu can get a window up and running in litterally less then 15 lines of code. it only takes a couple more lines after the window (literally...) to get BMPS loaded up.

If you are interested in using SDL, then I would suggest these tutorials.

Good luck!

Chad
I've used both Allegro and SDL, and I'd say I liked SDL much, much better. Allegro was kinda... I dunno... It didn't feel as "solid" to me.
From my understanding, SDL is a little more lower level. You have to do more things on your own rather than having a function that does them for you. This gives you more options but is harder. Allegro, is a bit easier to dive into. Has many different functions for different things but is a little more buggy. For a first timer, I say go with allegro. But SDL is better if you have some experience with games. Hopw this helps!!!
SDL and Allegro aren't typically called engines, they're graphics APIs, although they're somewhat higher-level than DirectX or OpenGL. The difference between these an an engine being that you'll generally have to do more of the work yourself to actually get a functional program, and the tradeoff being that you get more control. If you are looking for a relatively simple API with good documentation SDL would make an excellent choice however.

As usual with this sort of question I'd have to observe that there is no best engine; obviously you wouldn't get more than 1 suggestion if it were so. [wink] Different people prefer different styles, and different projects may have completely different requirements.

This being said, two good quality 2d engines that are well documented and supported are Haaf's Game Engine (HGE) and the Popcap Framework, both of which I'd recommend to anyone looking for a good 2d engine to use with C++.

Hope that helps. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

I know there isn't a 'best API to use but I probs should have expanded on that a little.

usability, portability , learning curve that sort of thing is in concideration.

thanks for your suggestions guys.

I started using SDL a while back but got other work to do at uni.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement