Is This Impossible?

Started by
1 comment, last by MourningDew 17 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys, I'm currently writing a software project (an internet card game) for a university subject, and was wondering if this feature would be very difficult to implement: The program, when queried, checks to see whether or not there is a newer version of itself available, and if there is it prompts for download. If this is feasible (sp?) could anybody point me in the right direction to look for an article on this kind of thing? I've looked around but I found diddly-squat. Thanks guys.
Pure And Simple Games
Advertisement
this is totally feasible on the client end. All you would need to do is have some variable in your program that stores the current version. Every time the game starts, ask the server if the client side version is up to date. This is as simple as comparing the version ID stored on the client side to the ID stored on the server side.

The only potential issue I would see is that you are almost required to have a central server up and running that the clients must connect to prior to playing. Without it, they would have nothing to check against (i.e. if the server is running on the same machine as a client, then the validation is only going to work if the server/client has the newest, or newer, version of the app).
Yes I see!

Thank you very muchly!
Pure And Simple Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement