• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

voxel system?

This topic is 4272 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Im using hge for my games and heard about voxel systems where you can rotate a sprite into an isometric world. Without it i need to prerender all guys in at least 8 directions. Could such a feature bee implemented in an existing engine? Would it be hard? Im no pro. (im using 3dsMax for my guys). Any engine that supports this already (although i would prefer to not change engine...) Thanks a lot! Erik

Advertisement
The modern equivalent of this technique would involve using the newer shading languages GLSL or HLSL.

To create an image plane and to do ray-tracing in GLSL, read up on:

- OpenGL Shading Language
- OpenGL textures, 2D and 3D
- Ray-tracing tutorials
- Volumetric shading methods / voxel rendering
- Iso-surfaces. These are lighting surfaces that are created for volumetric objects, based on voxel field density, at ray-trace time.

When you create your own image plane, you can apply orthographic or perspective projection cameras at will. The GLSL method has a steep learning curve (not killer or anything), but is ultra-powerful once mastered. GLSL eats this kind of stuff up for breakfast. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement