Please help me get started

Started by
6 comments, last by Chad Smith 17 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, im a new comer to this forum, I need help. Im a gamer and am passionate about making a game eversince i played my frist game on the intellivision. When i was in high school i made pong,pac man,tetris and other simple games with a program language called Turing and OOT(object Oriented Turing)..i have also done programming in college. Programming microproccessors to control robot vehicle with a programming language called PBasic. However, now i want to get in to something 3d, and i am completely ignorant and im looking for knowledge wherever i can find it. I would like to be able to make a 1st person or 3rd person shooter, YES i do know that im going to need a foundation of knowledge of coding and that is where i need the veteran users of this forum to help me out. I would like to know which is the best programming language or most powerful one to achieve what i'am trying to accomplish and what tutorials or even books i should look into reading to best help me out. I sincerely apoligize for such a long message but i want to start on the right foot because befor i learn to walk im gonna have to crawl Thank you for being so patient wit me
Advertisement
A really good tutorial site is www.gametutorials.com. Unfortunately, the tutorials aren't all free anymore. However, I bought the cd to learn 3d stuff for my final project in graphics class in college, and those tutorials saved my bacon, so to say.

http://www.drunkenhyena.com/ also has some good tutorials as well as http://nehe.gamedev.net/.

C++ seems to be the industry standard for games. For just learning purposes you may wish to consider c# using managed directx or some .NET wrapper for OpenGL.

Of course, if you're going to do that, you'd probably want to get some experience programming in either of those two languages...
Thanks alot man, I really apprciate it.
im going to check those out right now is their any good recommended books i should look into as well that you know of ?
Gosh, sorry. I haven't purchased or even looked at a full-blown c++ programming book in years. Once the syntax is down, I find it a matter of looking stuff up online. A google search on c++ tutorials could probably help. GameTutorials.com does have c++ tutorials. Also, though I haven't looked at it in details, it seems that gamedev has some tutorials: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=76.

Good luck!
I think no matter what you learn, more and more practice are necessary. Once you learned C++, of cource reading books or learning tutorials are important, but PRACTICE should be the major part. If there's something you don't understand, just to try it in your programs. Once you try a lot, You will get it.
This is just my experience, forgive me if I wrote poor English. *^_^*
I understand you perfectly fine and thank you i value your response along with the others who were most gracious to reply back...i think my biggest problem right now is a consistent source of information...i need a good book(s) or a list for that matter and any kind program hopefully freeware to get my feet wet.
I've found that the OpenGL Game Programming book (written by the guys who run this site) is a great start for a beginner. It uses OpenGL for graphics rendering, which in my opinion is easy to learn because you have to mess with come and double pointers all over the place. It also has a good flow and will take you from the very basics into more advanced topics. There is a demo at the end of the book and it's a very simple 1st person game. The previously mentioned websites, particularly http://nehe.gamedev.net are very helpful as well. You should be able to get pretty far with those.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Quote:Original post by TheBlackJester
I've found that the OpenGL Game Programming book (written by the guys who run this site) is a great start for a beginner. It uses OpenGL for graphics rendering, which in my opinion is easy to learn because you have to mess with come and double pointers all over the place. It also has a good flow and will take you from the very basics into more advanced topics. There is a demo at the end of the book and it's a very simple 1st person game. The previously mentioned websites, particularly http://nehe.gamedev.net are very helpful as well. You should be able to get pretty far with those.

I am not saying that is not a good book, cause I have not read it. I believe he should learn C++ pretty well without even jumping into that.

I suggest you get a good C++ book. One I see offered around here a lot is "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days." There is an E-Book version out, but that one is kind of old. I suggest you check on amazon for the newest version of it.

Good luck.

Chad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement