Sign in to follow this  
Oluseyi

[web] FYI: Aptana

Mathachew    352
Thanks, but first, slow start up time, and second, if it won't do syntax highlighting on a simple PHP file from the get go without doing some kind of modification/plugin installation, then I won't bother with it.

Also seemed very crampy at lower resolutions. I'm currently stuck with my GeForce2 with a resolution of 1024x768 and roughly around 40% of the screen was my code, the rest being other tabs, which could have been easily closed.

In the end, I want a beefed up Notepad with Notepad's speed. Unfortunately, Aptana did not have this.

Edit: Er, my resolution is 1158x864, one step above the previously stated resolution; with 1024, the code area would be smaller (but not by much).

leoptimus    106
It is interesting, but...

I've found EasyEclipse more feature complete than Aptana. It has the same features as aptana (javascript assistant), but it also has tools for PHP, ruby and Phyton, and it makes the page publication more easier.

http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/lamp.html

Oluseyi    2103
For the record, I use Komodo for most of my own web work. $30 for Personal. I just wanted to share, as Aptana looks interesting. I dislike it's being an Eclipse "total conversion," though, as it feels slightly unresponsive on a 2GHz/2 GB RAM machine. Further, it only does HTML, CSS and JavaScript natively (in the current version). PHP support is coming soon.

Good points, though.