C++ Workshop - Project 1

Started by
193 comments, last by me_minus 14 years, 5 months ago
Looks like an excellent project proposal. A lot of features that can be used in quite a few games. Thanks for the work!
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jwalsh

1. Yes. Color the output. They learned how in a previous exercise.

Can anyone point me to that excercise? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks
I was thinking of following along even though I don't have the book. One question I have, do you recommend storing the items and monsters in a text file and importing them into the game or is everything stored inside the code itself in a vector/array?

Great idea on the workshop, if people stick with it I think they are really going to be surprised at how much they learn.
Quote:Also, to me this seems like a big project (makes Pong look small and easy), so how do I start? What you gave us is kind of like a design document, right? Should I figure out the game states and what classes I use first? Should I just try to get the combat working first or should I try to get the main menus up first?

You are faced with the choice between top-down and bottom-up design. You have a choice to start with either to top of the system - the main menu - or the very bottom of the system - the combat. It doesn't really matter where you start. The finer points of system design are a bit outside the scope of this workshop, yeah?

For those who don't have the book; for text color you need to use conio.h. You can find out more about it on MSDN.
Wow this is a really cool project. I havent been participating in the workshop but I would definatly like to try out this project.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
I'm definetely in on the project ;) Just started a few mins ago (already had a silly semi-colon mistake too! :( Great start eh?)

*Edit* Woot, just got my menu system up and running :) Next up is the Character and Monster classes. :) I may end up doing that later tonight or tomorrow though... Oh well, decent progress for only like an hour of work.

[Edited by - Iced_Eagle on August 19, 2006 4:01:02 PM]
Great start is right. All I've got left to do is the actual combat. Except I'm writing it in vanilla C. This way, I can post code without worrying about students stealing it. If their code looks like mine, they fail the project. Genius, eh?
How can I manipulate my text so that it looks neat during runtime? I need more than just \t and \n. I would like to know how to:

- Clear the screen (\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n....no thanx!)
- Place a particular character or string (or white-space) at a particular point in the screen (for example: row 2 column 47 print "Strength: 30")
- The above obviously should allow me to REplace characters/strings at will (for example: row 2 column 58 print "35" when strength increases)

With this power, I could think of many more games which could be made...
Check this out then. Clicky
Thanx, though it looks A bit advanced, I hope ill be able to figure out what I need from it.

Otherwise, could you (or anyone) just post the bare basic instructions for how to place text at desired point on console screen? (much like the way the instructions for random numbers and colored text were posted, just the bottom line how to.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement