text problem in allegro

Started by
2 comments, last by Acid rain 17 years, 8 months ago
Is there a way to make your own fonts and use them in allegro other than using the standard "font" font. And I know I could just render text to a bitmap and stretch-blit the bitmap for a different size but is there a different way to get a high resolution text render as a different size? [Edited by - Acid rain on August 16, 2006 6:33:03 PM]
------------------------------Trust me, I do this all the time.
Advertisement
Not directly using Allegro. Allegro supports the bios fonts, .fon, which are monochrome and fixed size, and it supports bitmap fonts, which can look any way you want, but can not be colored, and are also fixed size. If you don't need many sizes of fonts in your game, I suggest this approach, as you can create nice fonts in an image processing program. Then create a new font for each size.

Otherwise, I recommend the 'alfont' library, which integrates nicely with allegro, and can render standard true type fonts, supports antialiasing, coloring, and of course different font sizes.

-Ivan
The easiest way to get different fonts is to use TTF2PCX. You'll need to create bitmaps for every size that you want. If you need more flexibility than that, you'll need to use an add-on like AlFont or Glyph Keeper.
alright, thanks
------------------------------Trust me, I do this all the time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement