Sign in to follow this  

MSVC8 suicides - cannot find MSVCR80.dll

This topic is 4137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was just plotting along doing some refactoring of my font crap, and all of a sudden when I attempt to run my thing I get an error message which pops up - "CANNOT FIND MSVCR80.DLL" I'm like wtf, so I restart MSVC thinking this is just a random bug, like the library wasn't released by the debugger or something. Problem persists. I then reboot my system to see if that did anything. Problem persists. At this point I'm seriously frustrated, because I can't think of anything that could have started this problem. I was just coding, build->run code, build->run BORK OMFG DIE DIE DIE THE SHIP IS SINKING WAHWOHWAHWOH! I did a couple googles on the stuff, and found a bunch of similar issues with EE Beta2. I'm using VS, Standard Edition. My manifests are all in order (induced because they were working fine 10 minutes ago). The one oddity I see is that the manifest has a single dependancy listed - <.. blah.. version="8.0.50608.0"> I only have (in \winSxS\) - 50215.4652 50727.42 Which would yield an understandable hypothesis as to why the damned thing can't find the library. Has anyone ever seen anything similar to this lurking around on the internets? I mean, the MSDN forums have a couple threads on the topic, but its essentially EEBeta2 stuff, and none of their fixes so far have made any difference in my problem. Thanks a lot guys, I'm off to see if this is a project-only problem, or if its affecting my entire dev system. *sigh*

I had the same problem the 2005 express edition, I solved it by doing the following:

go to the Project menu
Properties
Manifest tool
Input and Output
Embed Manifest - set it to no

I've been meaning to take the time to figure out why it was happening, and what the implications of not having the manifest embedded are, but haven't had the time. From the brief searches I did I believe someone suggested that doing a Clean Solution from the Build menu then rebuilding the project fixed it for them.

IIRC there's also a problem with FAT32 filesystems (there should be an option somewhere in the properties called use FAT32 workaround).

Setting "Embed Manifest" to "No" .... no effect.
Cleaning project/solution/pants ..... no effect.
Enabling FAT32 workaround ........... no effect.

FUCK. I think my system seriously nuked itself or something [bawling]

---------------------------
ogl.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start
because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
OK

lolol it has now spread too all my projects, and I have nothing better to do anymore since my connection went to crap and gets killed by 4chan (the only fun backup thing I had to do tonight).

This topic is 4137 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.