Sign in to follow this  
bpoint

Unity can't #define #pragma pack?

Hello all, I am trying to find a way to set up structure packing using #define macros while also being compiler-independant. Ideally, something like this would be great:
MYSTRUCTPACK(1) struct
{
    char foo;
    int bar;
} hoge;

However, MSVC (and other compilers) use a #pragma with a push and pop syntax, rather than a _declspec like they use for alignment, so I've resigned myself that this is probably the best I'd ever be able to do:
MYSTRUCTPACK_BEGIN(1)

struct
{
    char foo;
    int bar;
} hoge;

MYSTRUCTPACK_END()

Unfortunately, MSVC doesn't like me using a #define to declare #pragma pack:
#define MYSTRUCTPACK_BEGIN(x)     #pragma pack(push, x)    // error C2162: expected macro formal parameter
After much fruitless searching on Google, I did manage to find one thread here on gamedev where Null and Void pointed out how CPT handles this issue. The only problem with using a #include to wrap a structure is that I wouldn't be able to specify the desired packing (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) unless I created multiple include files each with a different values. That post was made back in 2002. Is there any better way to do this 4 years later that I'm just not aware of?

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
You cannot define a macro which uses the preprocessor.

What?

// ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
// use the preprocessor to turn a symbol into a string
#define STR(x) #x
#define STRING(x) STR(x)

bpoint, it might require using a set of 8 headers - before and after for each possibility.

Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy

What?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I meant you can't issue preprocessor directives, like #pragma in a macro.

Okay, I've played with it some more and managed to get a bit farther. MSDN docs say:
Quote:
Following #pragma, write any text that the translator can parse as preprocessing tokens. The argument to #pragma is subject to macro expansion.

So I can whip up something like this:

#define MYPACK_BEGIN(x)				pack(push, x)
#define MYPACK_END pack(pop)

#pragma MYPACK_BEGIN(1)

struct
{
char foo;
int bar;
} hoge;

#pragma MYPACK_END

This would also work for other compilers, assuming that they allow macro substitution after the #pragma. However, this leaves out GCC which decided to be "different" and use the __attribute__ syntax instead of a #pragma...

I then decided to see if I could use string substitution in a macro to create a header filename like so:

#define MYPACK2(x)					"PackHeader" #x ".h"

#include MYPACK2(4) // warning C4067: unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline
// fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'PackHeader': No such file or directory

But this doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have any other ideas (even if they are hackish)? Or am I just going to have to break down and make include files for each packing alignment I need, like LessBread has suggested?

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Quote:
Original post by bpoint
However, this leaves out GCC which decided to be "different" and use the __attribute__ syntax instead of a #pragma...

No it didn't, #pragmas are compiler-specific.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
No it didn't, #pragmas are compiler-specific.

Indeed they are. However, GCC certainly could have implemented structure packing the same way every other compiler has done it, rather than being different.

Actually, I prefer the __attribute__ syntax myself. But unfortunately everyone else uses #pragma already...

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy

What?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I meant you can't issue preprocessor directives, like #pragma in a macro.

It seems to me that #pragma is a compiler directive not a preprocessor directive. However, microsoft appears to categorizes it as a preprocessor directive, which might explain why bpoint ran in to trouble with MSVC. I don't have a copy of the standard at hand to check, maybe someone else does.

It seems that since gcc-4.0, gcc supports #pragma pack for compatibility with Win32.

If that's the case then all I need to is ensure MetroWorks and GCC will allow me to #define the text after the pragma. I'm not at home now, so I'll try testing this theory later tonight.

Uhm, it seems you didn't read the MSDN, or i am missing something... __declspec(align(X)) seems to be the thing you are looking for, or am i wrong?

On the other hand, if you want to go with includes, then your attempt (bellow) is wrong.

#define MYPACK2(x) "PackHeader" #x ".h"
#include MYPACK2(4)

What you should do is something like this:

#define STRINGIZE(X) #X
#define PACK(X) STRINGIZE(pack##X##.h)
#define PACK_END "packend.h"

EDIT: fixed the link...

EDIT2: added includes

[Edited by - Paulius Maruska on August 17, 2006 3:32:33 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Paulius Maruska
Uhm, it seems you didn't read the MSDN, or i am missing something... __declspec(align(X)) seems to be the thing you are looking for, or am i wrong?

Structure packing is not the same as alignment.

Structure packing ensures that variables within a structure are aligned to a specific memory address. In my example above, sizeof(hoge) would be 5 if packing was set to 1, or 8 if packing was set to 4.

Alignment (using __declspec) is what aligns the variable itself to a specific memory address. For example, I could align my structure to 16 bytes, so that anywhere it was used the address would be properly aligned.

Alignment can also be specified along with packing, so I could feasibly have a 5 byte sized struct that is 16 byte aligned in memory.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can use _Pragma operator to do this. It is defined in standard (#16.9 Pragma operator).
I have tested it with GCC 4.2.0,4.0.2,4.1.0,3.4.5 and 3.3.6 and it works perfectly

#include <cstdio>

#define PACK _Pragma("pack(push,1)")
#define UNPACK _Pragma("pack(pop)")

PACK

struct MyStruct {
char m_test[3];
int m_test2;
short m_test3;
};

UNPACK

int main(void) {
printf("sizeof(struct MyStruct): %u\n",sizeof(struct MyStruct));
return 0;
}

Quote:
Original post by bpoint
Structure packing is not the same as alignment.
<...>
Hope this helps. :)

Sorry, i'l note that for the future.

Quote:
Original post by AP
You can use _Pragma operator to do this. It is defined in standard (#16.9 Pragma operator).
I have tested it with GCC 4.2.0,4.0.2,4.1.0,3.4.5 and 3.3.6 and it works perfectly

It doesn't work in MSVC8 - i've tested it...

So anyway, you can still use something like this (as in my previous post):

#define STRINGIZE(X) #X
#define PACK(X) STRINGIZE(pack##X##.h)
#define PACK_END "packend.h"

#include PACK(2)
struct MyStruct {
int x, y, z;
double a, b, c;
};
#include PACK_END

Note, however, Visual C++ will issue a warning C4103 if header changes packing. Don't know if other compilers complains about it.

That would be an absolutely ideal solution if VS2005 (and everybody else) supported it...
Quote:
error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'const char [13]' to 'int'
error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<class-head>'
error C2448: '_Pragma' : function-style initializer appears to be a function definition

Unfortunately I can't just make a special case for GCC since I need to have a #pragma before the #defined pack macro.

Maybe the next generation of compilers will have a better (and more standardized) way of handling this. But I'm not holding my breath. :)

I belive Microsoft has several headers called things like "pshpk8" and "pshpk16" and so on, which does exactly what you described for #includes.

Personally, I'd just go with the #includes, it's probably easiest.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Personally, I'd just go with the #includes, it's probably easiest.

Yep, that really looks like the best choice. Since CodeWarrior uses #pragma option align=[some text], I wouldn't be able to properly set the structure packing with the MetroWerks compiler. Also using headers allows me to disable that pesky warning under MSVC. :)

Thanks to Paulius Maruska! I didn't realize my preprocessor stringizations were wrong.