Sign in to follow this  
eektor

How do you pause a game?

Hi, I am trying to implement a pause for my pong game. I was wondering how you go about doing it. I tried already and I've been having problems. Anyways this is an abstraction of my game loop right now
While (user hasn’t quit)

{    Read input

If user quits,
	Quit game

Handle user input

Computer AI

Check Collisions

Check for scoring

Update positions on sprites

Render sprites

Control Framerate
}
What I've been trying to do to make a pause is this:
While (user hasn’t quit)

{    do 
        Read input

If user quits,
	   Quit game

Handle user input
     while ( game is paused and user hasn't quit)

Computer AI

Check Collisions

Check for scoring

Render sprites

Control Framerate
}
Is this the right direction? or am I going about this wrong?

Try something like -

While (user hasn’t quit)

{ Read input

If user quits,
Quit game

Check to see if game pause state has updated

if ( currently unpaused ) {

Handle user input

Computer AI

Check Collisions

Check for scoring

Render sprites

}

Control Framerate
}

You could also implement a state system to manage all of your different game states:

class State
{
Enter()
Exit()
Update()
Draw()
ReadInput()
}

class Pause : State
{
Draw()
{
Print on Screen ("Pausued!")
}
Update()
{
check if player presses ESC to set currentState to InGame state
}
}

class InGame : State
{
Update()
{
Move character and enemies
check if player presses ESC to set currentState to pause state
}
Draw()
{
Draw character and enemies
}
}

State currentState

While (user hasn’t quit)
{
currentState.ReadInput()
currentState.Update()
currentState.Draw()
Control Framerate
}

Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Try something like -

While (user hasn’t quit)

{ Read input

If user quits,
Quit game

Check to see if game pause state has updated

if ( currently unpaused ) {

Handle user input

Computer AI

Check Collisions

Check for scoring

Render sprites

}

Control Framerate
}

Might want to still render sprites and handle input out side of the if block

so, you have the logic part, read input, update states, AI, etc, and the drawing part. When you pause the game, don't execute the logic part except reading input of course.

In a pong game you only need to stop the player/computer paddle and the boll movement. Let's say you have a bool variable named "started". Make if statements in the movement code of the ball and the paddles. When you want to pause/unpause the game, you can do something like this:

// input code
if (keydown(P)) {
if (started)
started=false;
else
started=true;
}

Where you replace keydown(P) with the function you use for getting input.

Thanks for the input.

@Rob Loach I think that is something I would like to do but in my next project. Thanks a lot, you gave me a good starting point to set up a state system manager. Is there a book or a tutorial that talks more about managing game states? Right now all I have for game states are Menu, Instructions, and Game.

@Mushu Thanks, I originally had the check to see if it was paused in the handle keyboard input, but I think its best to just separate it.

@Grain Why would I want to render sprites and handle input outside of the if block? This is for a simple pong game.

@password I have something similar. I have a bool variable named quit and one named pause.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by eektor
Thanks for the input.

@Rob Loach I think that is something I would like to do but in my next project. Thanks a lot, you gave me a good starting point to set up a state system manager. Is there a book or a tutorial that talks more about managing game states? Right now all I have for game states are Menu, Instructions, and Game.

@Mushu Thanks, I originally had the check to see if it was paused in the handle keyboard input, but I think its best to just separate it.

@Grain Why would I want to render sprites and handle input outside of the if block? This is for a simple pong game.

@password I have something similar. I have a bool variable named quit and one named pause.

you can make some cool effects while its paused :) (scroll the pause text or something).

as for handling input, well you want to handle input even if the game is paused (since you would want to be able to detect when the player unpauses)

Also,
you might want to render outside the ifblock because what if you want the player to see the paddle and ball still? I did that when I made my pong clone (about a year ago now...lol).

Chad

Quote:
Original post by eektor
Is there a book or a tutorial that talks more about managing game states? Right now all I have for game states are Menu, Instructions, and Game.

You should check out Managing Game States in C++, i think it's quite a good tutorial about that topic.

-Raven

Well i'm a newb, but the way I do it... When ur collecting input if they press say Space, just call a function that doesn't return until they hit space again. Since everyone else has a lot more complicated ways mine is prolly newbish and has a problem... but I don't see what, does everything I need it 2.

If you want to stop some behaviour from happening (e.g. the ball moving) then testing a flag inside the movement code itself is less efficient than simply not calling the movement function in the first place. It's also messier.

If you were to implement time-based movement (so that the ball moves at the same rate regardless of framerate) then you could also approach this by simply telling the ball that no time has passed. You literally 'stop the clock.'

I can vouch for the link RavenMokel posted, using a stack-oriented state machine confused the life out of me until I saw this link in another post. Very simple examples and source as well as a good example of polymorphism at work.

Thank you Raven for the link. I might get the books listed as resources too. I got the first one already.

Thank you superpig you just made me realize an error. I was wondering sometimes when it was paused once I unpaused it someone will score and the ball starts at the middle again. I forgot I didn't stop the timer and the ball's movement is time-based.

@Cleric Kain I was thinking of doing that but I wanted to give the user the option to quit at any time and not have to unpause then quit.

Ok, I think I got the pause working alright except for one bug. If a person press p sometimes it stops like its supposed to but other times it pauses and then resumes. I believe somehow the program reads the p key being pressed down more than once when you only pressed it down once.

How can I avoid this? I use SDL and I was trying to put a SDL_Delay like this:

// If user presses 'p' pause or unpause the game
if (g_input->getInput(SDLK_p))
{
if (g_pause == false)
g_pause = true;
else
g_pause = false;

SDL_Delay(75);
}

I've been trying to vary the SDL_Delay as well but with no success. Any ideas?