Sign in to follow this  
Marmin

Lag (delay) in playing using sdl_mixer

Marmin    523
(using Linux ubuntu) I've noticed a delay in playing mix chunks, a considerable delay (0.3 seconds). I've browsed Google and found some similar problems, but a good answer I couldn't find. Has anyone using the mixer had these problems? Is this a driver problem or a sdl mixer problem? Can't seem to find this delay in other applications.

samuraicrow    325
What is the size of the mix buffer? Try setting it to something fairly low for low latancy. 4096 samples is usually just about right. Anything less gets choppy anything more and the lag increases.

paul_nicholls    167
Quote:
Original post by Marmin
(using Linux ubuntu) I've noticed a delay in playing mix chunks, a considerable delay (0.3 seconds). I've browsed Google and found some similar problems, but a good answer I couldn't find. Has anyone using the mixer had these problems? Is this a driver problem or a sdl mixer problem? Can't seem to find this delay in other applications.

I was getting delays of almost a second under windows using SDL to play sound effects and I couldn't fix the problem :(

So I migrated to OpenAL and had no more issues :)

cheers,
Paul.

Marmin    523
I'm going to ask it on the mailing list. Will let u know if I get some information. As for Openal that seems to be better but I'm reluctant to use a load of libraries for just a simple game..