Books

Started by
1 comment, last by Mark Pope 17 years, 8 months ago
I wasn't sure where the best place for this was, but here goes. I am comp sci graduate from about 3 years back looking for a job in software engineering (preferrably C++). However, I've had no luck getting a job in that role in that period, and after a recent interview, I've discovered I've forgot an awful lot in those 3 years. To remedy this, I'm trying to get heavily focused on working on my graphics engine (which I started as part of my final year project, but rarely touched over the past couple of years). To support that, I'm after a couple of books. Firstly, I'm after decent C++ tome, preferrably of intermediate to advanced level (i.e. aimed at intermediate level bringing them up to more advanced levels, rather than galvanising a guru). I can find a lot of books, but not too many reviews, so informed opinion would be welcome - or some direction to review sites. I did read the tips on the sticky, but they're not too much use as I'll be buying online. Secondly, any recommendations on DirectX 9.0 shader books covering HLSL, PS 2.0 etc. Not advanced. Again, I've seen a few, but no real reviews. I'm not out of work atm, so I don't want to risk chucking £60+ at a pair of books that aren't too much use, hence asking for some guidance on this one. Edit, and two minutes later discovers that the new site has a book review section... Cheers.
Advertisement
You might want to take a look at these books which are aimed at C++ programming in general:
Design patterns : elements of reusable object-oriented software (Hardcover)
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs (Professional Computing S.) (Paperback)
Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve the Use of the Standard Template Library (Professional Computing S.) (Paperback)

Thinking In C++ Vol 1 & 2 is a nice free eBook on C++ as well covering a lot of topics in detail.

You may also want to take a look at Code Complete and/or Pragmatic Programmer which fall along the lines of "How to approach a programming project".

I am afraid I can't help you on the graphics side.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

I'd recommend downloading Nvidia FX Composer (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fx_composer_home.html) and having a play with that.

So long as you have an understanding of 3D math, it's not too hard to see how the shaders work and to start writing your own.

If your 3D math / graphics knowledge needs some work, then you could try 3D Computer Graphics by Alan Watt. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201398559/sr=8-1/qid=1155870050/ref=sr_1_1/103-2504683-9786200?ie=UTF8)

You might also want to see if you can get the books through the library, to see if you like them.

Good luck.

-==============================-
  • Game Creator Blog
  • This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement