Sign in to follow this  
John_23

E-mailing in Visual Basic

John_23    200
Hey all- wondered if you could help me with something. Do you know if there's a way to send e-mail through Visual Basic without the use of Outlook Express nor an ActiveX control?

John_23    200
That code don't seem to run. I tried running the exe file and the project file and it said 'ActiveX control cannot create component' which means it uses ActiveX controls. Thanks for trying though. Anyone else got any suggestions?

John_23    200
Actually I might be able to use an ActiveX control. The code for this e-mailing is going to go on a website when it's compiled and the reason I don't want an activex control is in the case that the user of the website won't have the .ocx file. But if they don't have the .ocx file they won't be able to send the email, or will they?

markr    1692
If running on a server where a local MTA will be available via IIS, try using creating CDO.Message and simply sending that.

If you're running in an unpredictable environment, there is no way of sending email that is likely to work; the user will have firewalls all over the place and there's no guarantee their email system even uses SMTP. Send a HTTP request instead to a web server which can then send on the email.

Mark

John_23    200
Good point Mark. Instead of trying to e-mail directly from the program I'm just gonna find another way of doing things- I need to press on with this program so I think that's the best option. Thanks to all you guys who have posted :)