Sign in to follow this  
Kenny77

Learning C++

How long did it take you guys to learn enough C++ to make a simple 2D game? And then how long until you made a 3D game? I just wanted to know so I can set realistic goals for myself.

about 3months to learn enough C++ to start making a 3D game. BUT i already had 5 years of experience in Java (which is syntactically very similar). If it's your first programming language it'll take you a while.

The bigger consideration is how much math and physics do you know? I had 3 years of physics and many years of math(through multi-variable calculus & linear algebra) under my belt before i started game programming. Games, especially 3D games are as much about math and physics as they are about knowing software engineering.

-me

I started C++ in 2001, worked with it for two years. Then quit for a while, started back in 2004 and have been using it ever since. I recently started learning Win32 and DirectX so I could program games with graphics. My first game was a simple starfighter game using Win32 and C++. I finished that 12/30/2005. Since then though I have created a lot of 2D games, but never a complete 3D game on my own. I can render 3D objects to the screen using DirectX. I spend more time learning physics, artificial intelligence, and C++ than I do graphics programming though. I can implement pathfinding, statemachines, and collision detection fairly easily. I would say that you could probably create your first game within 6 months of learning C++ by using a library like SDL. The trick is to set time limits for yourself so you actually finish the project. Then try and engineer it in a way that it is easy to maintain. My biggest problem starting out was organizing my files.

If you want to see some of the games I made you can check out the download section of my website
www.adamwlarson.com

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
Games, especially 3D games are as much about math and physics as they are about knowing software engineering.

QFT

Let's see, I started getting into C just under three years ago. C++ followed quickly, and I learned at a pretty relaxed pace. I'm just now putting the finishing touches on a 2d game I've spent the summer working on.

Took me about three months, I think, to start making a (very simple) 2D game. I had already had experience programming, albeit in TI Basic (the language for Texas Instrument calculators) and not too much at that. And, I had a very helpful friend who alread had several years of experience.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Took me about three months, I think, to start making a (very simple) 2D game. I had already had experience programming, albeit in TI Basic (the language for Texas Instrument calculators) and not too much at that. And, I had a very helpful friend who alread had several years of experience.

That is also how I started out, I created a couple simple games using TI BASIC.

Took me 2 and a half months of steady learning, to make my a VERY simple Pong Clone. Now, I have been programming for about a year and 3 months and I am working on my 4th 2D game. It's really my first game that is original, and kind of big.

The simple games I have created in order:
Pong
Breakout (VERY simple after you make Pong)
Space Invaders

Good luck!

Chad.

Quote:
Original post by adam23
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez

That is also how I started out, I created a couple simple games using TI BASIC.

ditto on that one. i made a pretty complex game in TI-BASIC I call "Reign". Though it uses the built-in Menu() function most of the time, its still pretty complex, it consists of 2 progs, a BattleSys prog, and a main prog. My main problem i encounter is the calc running outta memory. its about 5kb (damn big for a TI-BASIC game).

after that, programming, for the most part, has been a breeze to learn. save for C++, which im still learning. and have been for about a week or so. the way I work is by breaking down each procedure in my head and figuring out how it works, which for some reason is very difficult for me to do in C++, even though i have a solid grasp of C# and VB6. I'm currently trying to probe some friends, both personal and family, to divulge any books they have, as i dont have enough money to get any of my own.