IDE for C++ in Ubuntu/Gnome

Started by
17 comments, last by gonzo 17 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I recently switched to Ubuntu 6.06 from Windows and am looking for a good IDE. I tried using kdevelop but found the interface to be tedious and hard to use, I just couldn't get used to it. I am very used to using Visual Studio 2003. What other IDE would you recommend for C++? Thanks, Matt
Matt
Advertisement
The next names that come to mind are Anjuta and Code::Blocks. To be honest with you though, I don't really care for Linux IDEs. It takes a while to get used to, but when it comes to Linux I surprised myself by really agreeing with the philosophy that a text editor and a terminal window is the best solution. I actually wouldn't say I like that any less than an IDE either, in Linux at least.
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
I've tried using Anjuta a few times in the past but never found it worthwhile, so I keep on using vim and the command line.
Steve Bougerollehttp://www.imperialrealms.com | http://www.sebgitech.com | http://www.bougerolle.net
Thanks, I will try anjuta and code::blocks. If I dont like either of those I will just use gedit and a command line.
Matt
kdevelop and anjuta seem to work fine for me, but i'm not very impressed by either of them. you can also install eclipse from the repository and install the cdt plugin, but it's not the latest version of eclipse and you'll have to get the proper cdt plugin that works with that version. it may be better to download the latest eclipse instead if you decide to try that. i still haven't tried code::blocks yet but probably will soon.
This space for rent.
there is a version of cdt that works with the latest eclipse, eclipses download page just lists a year old download for some reason. it took me a good long while to get working in windows, but its there and works :)

next trial is getting cvs working over ssh :
overall im not impressed with cdt in eclipse, but im rather certain that its mostly to do with having to use cygwin/mingw. some days i like eclipse alot, other days i miss vim.
thought i'd just add some details...

the latest version of eclipse is 3.2, but the ubuntu repository still has 3.1. the latest version of the cdt plugin is 3.1 and works with eclipse 3.2. i accidentally grabbed cdt 3.1 using eclipse 3.1 from the repository and found it would freeze on startup.

cdt 3.0.x works with eclipse 3.1 from the repository, but it's likely a better idea to just download the latest eclipse and cdt anyway. (i haven't gotten around to it yet)
This space for rent.
try MinGW Developer Studio
Screen dump
Last time i used it, it was a tad buggy. It's alot like Visual C++ 6 however,
so there shouldn't be much of a learning curve.

Ever tried gEdit? (seriously!)
i just tried the latest eclipse with the cdt plugin on my athlon64 3200+ with 1gb ddr ram and it was like trying to run windows vista on a gameboy. i think gedit is the way to go.
This space for rent.
Anjuta is nice to start with, untill you need to customize the build files. Then it becomes a bit unwieldy. I did my first Linux programming in Ajnuta so that I didn't have to learn the entire GNU build system top get something basic going. After that, I ripped the makefiles to shreds, learnt what the pieces do and rewrote them. Then I dumped Anjuta for a text editor and the command line :-)

Sometimes I use Nano (for quick edits), sometimes gedit or BlueFish. It depends. I still use Glade for UI design though.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement