Sign in to follow this  
ehsan2004

[.net] What's this linking error?

ehsan2004    178
Hi I had written my C++ program with VC++ 6. When i open my dsw file with vc++.net and convert it, i always see the following warning: warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification What's the problem? -Ehsan-

Quote:
Original post by ehsan2004
Hi
I had written my C++ program with VC++ 6. When i open my dsw file with vc++.net and convert it, i always see the following warning:
warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification

What's the problem?
-Ehsan-

Simple - edit and continue doesn't work when you're not linking incrementaly. If you want to use "edit and continue" feature or you want to speed up your build times - enable incremental linking in the project properties (that's Linker->General on VC8).

Normaly, i have incremental linking enabled in my Debug builds and i disable them in Release builds.

ehsan2004    178
I have written a commercial engine with thousends of lines.I'm an engine programmer in my corporation. I repeatedly add new files to my engine. So should i enable this feature in VC++.net?
Note: rebuilding the project takes about 15 minutes to be finished.
-Ehsan-

Quote:
Original post by ehsan2004
I have written a commercial engine with thousends of lines.I'm an engine programmer in my corporation. I repeatedly add new files to my engine. So should i enable this feature in VC++.net?
Note: rebuilding the project takes about 15 minutes to be finished.
-Ehsan-

Well, you have two options:
1) enable incremental linking (you can do this in Project properties - Linker->General, "Enable Incremental Linking");
2) disable edit and continue (you can do this in Project properties - C/C++->General, "Debug Information Format").

Linking incrementaly requires a little less time to complete (but the executable file size is bigger). You can actualy test it if it speeds up your builds or not.

Edit and continue is the feature where you can edit your source code while debugging it (or something like that - i never actualy use it, so i wouldn't know).

If you don't use edit and continue - disable it. If incremental linking speeds up your build times - enable it. So it is totaly up to you.

Note: incremental linking will not speed up your rebuilds.