Sign in to follow this  
michaelj

what can i do with max script??

michaelj    122
recently, i want to export static mesh and animated mesh, such as biped models, with textures. could max script fit the needs? I want to learn max sdk and make a exporter, but it seems i can study faster if i begin with max script, which is easier to learn, and since i get well with it, i can easily turn to max sdk.

corysama    342
You can write a simple exporter in Maxscript and it will be infinitely easier that way than using the SDK. I spent a lot of time in that SDK and I'm glad to be done with it...

The down side is that Maxscript is a lot slower than C++. It will be fine as long as you aren't exporting enormous amounts of data or trying to do heavy pre-processing your data before exporting it.

Spare yourself the pain of the Max SDK. Do as much as you can in Maxscript. If you absolutely need something to be 10x faster, write a minimal Maxscript extension plugin.

I must mention though: A lot people have already written a lot of exprters for Max. Collada is a multi-company effort to make a freely available, professional-level exporter. You might want to check out what wheels are laying around before you go inventing a new one.

michaelj    122
Really thanks for your reply!

I feel maxscript really easy.
do you mean that max sdk is too difficult to learn?
I want to export to directx x text format.

and, could you tell where i can download Collada? some links?

Basiror    241
Quote:
Original post by corysama
You can write a simple exporter in Maxscript and it will be infinitely easier that way than using the SDK. I spent a lot of time in that SDK and I'm glad to be done with it...

The down side is that Maxscript is a lot slower than C++. It will be fine as long as you aren't exporting enormous amounts of data or trying to do heavy pre-processing your data before exporting it.

Spare yourself the pain of the Max SDK. Do as much as you can in Maxscript. If you absolutely need something to be 10x faster, write a minimal Maxscript extension plugin.

I must mention though: A lot people have already written a lot of exprters for Max. Collada is a multi-company effort to make a freely available, professional-level exporter. You might want to check out what wheels are laying around before you go inventing a new one.

I can t agree with you about the MAX SDK being difficult, 2 years ago I wrote a export plugin which worked pretty fine within a few hours. I found it pretty easy to use, but I d also suggest to use collada or something compareable, just to save time and concentrate on your game.

Nik02    4348
When I last used MAX SDK, I believe it was possible to obtain a plugin project template for Visual C++, which made actual plugin development quite easy (imo).

KreK    204
Before writing your own X exporter, check out the existing ones.

http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax.aspx
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=405013

From my experience, they work pretty well with simple scenes, but for anything more complex they will fail. In my company, we recently had to give up the idea of using X files and switch to writing our own custom exporters, something nobody was really happy to do but there was simply no other way.

The COLLADA format might end up being what X file was supposed to be, but it's too early to tell and it is a very extensive format to parse. Apparently, the upcoming OpenGL SDK will come with some sort of libraries to parse it, which should boost its adoption.

michaelj    122
I really want some tutorials on max sdk on exporting static meshes and animated(bones and other kinds) meshes.

I don't mind what file format to exporter, I just want to know, with max sdk, how to manipulate static meshes, and skeleton animations, and normal animations.

MAX SDK HELP is really a rough refference!!

I wonder if anyone could give some tips, or just some links about such tutorials, thanks a ton!

michaelj    122
Quote:
Original post by Nik02
When I last used MAX SDK, I believe it was possible to obtain a plugin project template for Visual C++, which made actual plugin development quite easy (imo).

really? visual c++ 6 or 2003? I have 2003 but didn't find that project template.