Putting Strings in files

Started by
15 comments, last by Chad Smith 17 years, 8 months ago
Hello, when I am doing File I/O how do I output a string into the .txt document? IDE: Dev-C++ Language: C++
Advertisement
FILE* fp = fopen("test.txt","w");
fprintf(fp,"Hello World");
fclose(fp);

That what you were looking for ? :)

Greetings.

EDIT: fprintf(fp,str); works as well if str is a char*
OR you could do this with the C++ file io

using namespace std;

{
string str = "Hello World";
ofstream of("test.txt");
of << str << endl;
}
Quote:Original post by Limitz
fclose(fp);

Greetings.

That is the C way of doing things :)
For C++, you can use fstream. Nice thing with fstream is that you can easily use strings with it as well.

string name="dude";
ofstream fo;
fo.open("test.txt");
fo<<"Hello "<<name<<".\n";
fo.close();
Quote:Original post by nooblet
Language: C++

std::string SomeString = "Hello World!";
std::ofstream fout( "Test.txt" );
fout << SomeString << std::endl;
fout.close();

Edit: Blah, way too slow.
That's using the C way. I am sure he wants the C++ way, in which would look something like this I believe

#include <fstream>#include <string>using namespace std;int main(){	ofstream SaveFile("file.txt");        string text="hello";	SaveFile << text;	SaveFile.close();	return 0;}

EDIT: WOW! I AM LATE!
Hmm, ok well see what I am trying to do is create a program so the people on my team can register with it and it writes it in one file...

#include <iostream>#include <fstream>using namespace std;int main(){string username;ofstream a_file("members.txt");ifstream b_file("members.txt");cout << "Username: ";cin >> username;if( b_file >> username ){a_file << username;}else{cout << "You exist in our database!" << endl;}system("Pause");return 0;}

Getting mad cause' it will overwrite the username every time someone runs the program and types their name.
Quote:Original post by GamerSg
fclose(fp);

Greetings.

That is the C way of doing things :)
For C++, you can use fstream. Nice thing with fstream is that you can easily use strings with it as well.

string name="dude";
ofstream fo;
fo.open("test.txt");
fo<<"Hello "<<name<<".\n";
fo.close();

Hehe, i know. But there is no rule that states that c functions are deprecated when using C++ ;) Would it help if i said i included <cstdio> in stead of <stdio.h> ? :)

Greetings.
Quote:Original post by nooblet
Hmm, ok well see what I am trying to do is create a program so the people on my team can register with it and it writes it in one file...

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Getting mad cause' it will overwrite the username every time someone runs the program and types their name.

ofstream a_file ( "test.txt", ios::app ); ? To append in stead of overwrite
ofstream a_file ( "test.txt", ios::app ); ? To append in stead of overwrite

How about if you look at the code and figure out what's actually wrong with it? Like assigning multiple strings to the same variable, reading/writing from the same file simultaneously, etc. If you want to help someone, put some effort in there.

(Pot, kettle, black, I know [grin])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement