first game

Started by
5 comments, last by Limitz 17 years, 8 months ago
what is the easiest game to start programming using openGL, I already have done a pong/warlords clone, I need to practice again,its been a few months since I have progarammed,I am very rusty, any advice will be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Well, im stil stuck in console, but you could create like a 1 level of a mario clone! That would be pretty cool! [smile]
I did Asteroids as my first real game I've finished (now just need to add sound...). Minimal collision detection (as opposed to side scrollers), and allows for nice use of particle effects. Tetris is also very interesting to try.
I know a Breakout clone isn't AAA gaming, but something like that would expand heavily from the Pong clone, whereas you could have a whole kaboodle of different items appear to catch with the paddle, multiple balls starting up at certain scores, different levels, etc... not sure if that is as advanced as what you're looking for, but Breakout is one of those games that can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be :)

Scorp
A simple classic 2D pong clone is a good starting point as it gives you graphics, user input, and a small scope.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Since the OP said they've already done a Pong clone, I would recommend something akin to Tetris. More complex then Pong and you can still utilize some sweet stuff from OpenGL (Check out the images of the day from a few months ago, someone did a really amazing looking tetris clone with reflections, refractions, tons of other cool effects).

Happy Coding!
Quote:Original post by TFS_Scorpion
I know a Breakout clone isn't AAA gaming, but something like that would expand heavily from the Pong clone, whereas you could have a whole kaboodle of different items appear to catch with the paddle, multiple balls starting up at certain scores, different levels, etc... not sure if that is as advanced as what you're looking for, but Breakout is one of those games that can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be :)

Scorp

Yeah, i did a breakout clone where the paddle was controlled by the x movement of the mouse and a crosshair that was controlled by the x,y movement. Boxes would eject powerups which needed to be "shot" instead of caught by the paddle.
Very fun to program, very addictive to play :)

Greetings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement