Help with C#

Started by
6 comments, last by joelmartinez 17 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone as you may know i'm new to the forums and im getting started in game developing at the age of 16. two days ago i downloaded the microsoft visual Studio 2005 i have done some tutorials and im getting the hang of the program. But today i wanted to start/give a try at making a simple game. But i have a big problem i dont know where to go to start making a simple game like 2d pong, etc. do i have to go somewhere else in the program to make games do i have to download some other program to do a game like pong, etc. Thanks to everyone that can help me out and if you can, can u give me more tutorials of good websites, i need to get the hang of this so my friend and i can do a simple game on XNA which comes out later this month.
Advertisement
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Its basically a text editor with a button that feeds your files into a compiler so technically its all you need.

Thats said you probably want to install the DirectX sdk (software development kit). This will provide code that will provide a robust set of basic graphics functions.

links:
DirectX SDK for C#

Tutorials from Microsoft

edit: I'm not sure if youll have to download the DirectX sdk right away, look at thoes tutorials first. They might be using GDI. Though keep in mind for robust graphics in C# you'll need DirectX
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
links:
DirectX SDK for C#

Shouldn't that link be to this version of the DirectX SDK?

To the OP: The SDK comes with an app called DirectX Sample Browser. Click on the Managed, Samples, and Tutorials boxes, and you can view some tutorials for getting started.

Also be sure to check out Microsoft's Coding4Fun pages, specifically the game development section.

Edit: after rereading your post instead of getting started with graphics, you might be better off buying a C# programming book. It's important to start off by learning the language/how to program, then move on to graphics (it's easy to get overwhelmed when you're first starting out)

[Edited by - Will F on August 18, 2006 3:03:18 AM]
Quote:Original post by Will F
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
links:
DirectX SDK for C#

Shouldn't that link be to this version of the DirectX SDK?

To the OP: The SDK comes with an app called DirectX Sample Browser. Click on the Managed, Samples, and Tutorials boxes, and you can view some tutorials for getting started...

I didn't see any indication on the page your referenced as to whether MS offers a CD version of their newest DirectX for a nominal fee. Do you know whether a CD version is available? It would take me 20 hours (or likely more) to download the app with my dial-up modem, which tends to stay in the range of 24,000 bps download rates for its top speed. Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Dave FF

thanks alot guys im finding the links very helpful, ill probably get into C# and learn its coding first then ill turn to the graphics.
If you're interested in making 2d games, you could take a look at the FlatRedBall 2.5d Engine. It's written in managed directX and has a visual studio 2005 template that will have you up and running in a snap.

Their Tutorials are very thorough and easy to follow :-)

edit: oh, and I forgot to mention that they plan on moving the engine to XNA once it is released.
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
Quote:Original post by joelmartinez
If you're interested in making 2d games, you could take a look at the FlatRedBall 2.5d Engine. It's written in managed directX and has a visual studio 2005 template that will have you up and running in a snap.

Their Tutorials are very thorough and easy to follow :-)

edit: oh, and I forgot to mention that they plan on moving the engine to XNA once it is released.

ohh thats awesome i have alot of free time today so i can do alot of tutorials that everyone provided. But the Micrsoft link doesnt allow me to watch their webcams for the tutorials if i register for Micrsoft Live ID is it FREE!? i wont have to pay anything right????????

yes, a live ID is free ... and you will need one for just about anything dealing with Microsoft.
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement