Visual Studio problem

Started by
3 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 8 months ago
All the files associated with my visual studio (CPP, C, DSW, DSP) are opened with it fine. The problem is that each one is opened in a sepeare instance of the program. Before I reinstalled windows, it opened these files in the currently opened Visual Studio or opened a new one if one wasn't running. How to solve this?
Advertisement
Usually that problem occurs when you re-associate a program with a specific file type. For example if I used Dev-CPP and they all opened up files in one window, then I installed Visual Studio it would change it. If I change it manually in windows to associate to Dev-CPP windows will automatically open X number of instances.

Best bet is to search through the Visual Studio program and try to find a file assoc tab.
Whoa, are you sure dude?

I did exactly what you said when I first got Visual C++, and changed the file it opens with via windows, and it opens all my files in one instance, in both programs.

I just thought I would bring that up, that maybe that MIGHT not be the problem since I did that it still opens up in one instance.

Chad
Quote:Original post by Chad Smith
I did exactly what you said when I first got Visual C++, and changed the file it opens with via windows, and it opens all my files in one instance, in both programs.

All of the times I've changes assoc through windows it has lead to multiple instances. Usually the only thing that seems to fix this is if the editor itself changes the file assoc. (there is probably a flag in registry for this that windows doesn't automatically set)

*shrugs*
@OP - When you open a project file, does it open all the .cpp/.h/etc. files in different windows, or is it only when you click on the individual files that it opens them seperately?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement