Sign in to follow this  

Extern pointers wont work on classes dervied from templates ?

This topic is 4135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

G'day Does anyone know if its possible to use 'extern' pointers when the class the pointer points at uses a class template. IE the class the pointer points at is declared as class MyClass : public MyTemplate<MyClass > { ... }; and we use extern MyClass* PtrMyClass; to declare the variable I can get extern pointers working just fine if they point a normal class, but as soon as I use a class that uses a template it doesnt work. I know the template is written correctly, because the class works fine otherwise. This problem has been driving me nuts all day. Here's the vague compile time error messages when using a class derived from a template class. On the "MyClass* PtrMyClass;" Line error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*' error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int On the "class MyClass : public MyTemplate<MyClass > {" line error C2923: 'MyTemplate' : 'MyClass ' is not a valid template type argument for parameter 'T' : see declaration of 'MyClass ' error C2955: 'MyTemplate' : use of class template requires template argument list : see declaration of 'MyTemplate'

Quick answer: yes, since the class is a type just like any other type. The following compiles on g++:

template<class A> class T { };
class B : public T<B> { };
extern B * b;

What is the definition of MyTemplate?

Quote:
Original post by f001error
error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*'

This is probably because the compiler doesn't know what MyClass is. Did you forget to include the header files that contain the declarations of MyClass and MyTemplate? The other errors are likely to be related though it is really hard to tell without seeing the relevant code.

This topic is 4135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.