Sign in to follow this  
JDev

OpenGL Display List problems

hello, I'm writting a game in C++ and opengl and I am trying to render some models using opengl display lists. I currently have code that can display the models without display lists however, I don't see anything when I render the same model with display lists. I have taken the sample NEHE code and added my model loading code for simplicity. When I add my drawing code to the existing NEHE code it adds the model to that display list just fine. When I try to create a separate list using a diffrent generated id, I get an ID but it doesn't draw. I also have glerror statements after the draw list function is called and no errors appear. Anybody else have a simular error...? URL: http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~sathrej/lesson12.zip thanks, JDev

Generally if you have a function that displays the model then the following two functions will suffice. The first is for the creation of the display list and the second you use it to display the model within your draw function.
I suggest to use them in a model class.

GLuint ListName;

void ListLoad() {ListName = glGenLists(1); glNewList(ListName, GL_COMPILE); displayTheModel(); glEndList(); }

void displayViaList(int ListName) { glCallList(ListName); }

I understand my naming convention is not correct. I still don't understand why when I create a display list in my own class it doesn't display, but when I attach the same draw code to the NEHE code it's display list displays just fine...?

I tried adding the creation of the display list to the display function, but I still don't see anything...?

Quote:
Original post by JDev
I tried adding the creation of the display list to the display function, but I still don't see anything...?

I hope you aren't calling the creation of the DL every frame? Post some code and you will have a better chance of getting help.

Ok I solved my problem, thank you to all who tried to help me.

My problem was that I was loading the .mtl file (material file) first and then calling the draw routine without loading the .obj file with the VERTICIES!!! So basically I was drawing everything correctly, I just didn't have any verticies to draw.
thanks,
JDev