Sign in to follow this  
Gluc0se

OpenGL Problems Extracting Frustum Planes in OpenGL [Solved]

So I'm having some problems extracting the frustum planes in OpenGL. I've found many references as to how to do this, such as these two links Extraction of Frustum Planes - RavenSoft Extraction of Frustum Planes - LightHouse3D So for the life of me, and please point out what I'm doing wrong, I can't get these equations to actually come up with the correct answer. Heres an example of a projection matrix in question. First, lets work in viewspace, so the modelview is the identity. And now lets use the gluPerspective(..) function to set up a frustum. A simple frustum is constructed with the call gluPerspective(90.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 10.0f) -- which means a square-shaped near plane at 1.0f, a far plane at 10.0f, and the right,left,bottom,top are all 1 unit away from the -z axis. The resulting OpenGL projection matrix from this call is 1.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 -1.222 -0.222 0.000 0.000 -1.000 0.000 Now lets just determine the 'left' plane equation of the frustum, using the equation given from the two links provided. They use the Ax + By + Cz + D plane equation, and the values are thus. A = m[0] + m[3]; // 1 + 0 = 1 B = m[4] + m[7]; // 0 + 0 = 0 C = m[8] + m[11]; // 0 + -0.222 = -0.222 D = m[12]+ m[15]; // 0 + 0 = 0 So heres my immediate problem with this. The vector (1.0, 0.0, -0.222) will not represent the correct normal for the left plane. Given that I've constructed a 90 degree frustum, the normal of the plane should be (1.0, 0.0, -1.0)(unnormalized) - but it is not. So my question is, am I using the correct projection matrix to begin with? Should it not be straight from OpenGL? [Edited by - Gluc0se on August 18, 2006 5:27:18 PM]

Double-check element 11; the matrix itself is right but you're using the wrong value in your manual computations.

It appears to me that I have a tranposing problem, since it seems to work out ok if I transpose the matrix. Though that printed matrix is already the tranpose of what is returned from OpenGL, meh I'm sure I just wasn't paying attention to the matrix ordering. Thanks for the help