Sign in to follow this  

SqPlus Question and Comment

This topic is 4139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First the question: How does one get operator() to work on a squirrel object when it has parameters? Take the following code for example:
#include "sqplus.h"

#include <iostream>

struct Test {
  void operator()( int i ) {
    std::cout << "operator() " << i << std::endl;
  }
};

int main() {
  SquirrelVM::Init();
  SqPlus::SQClassDef< Test >( L"Test" ).
    func( &Test::operator (), L"_call" );

SquirrelObject script = SquirrelVM::CompileBuffer(
    L"local test = Test();\n"
    L"test( 3 );" );

SquirrelVM::RunScript( script );
  SquirrelVM::Shutdown();
}

I get an exeption with:
AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [attempt to call 'instance']

CALLSTACK
*FUNCTION [main()] console_buffer line [2]

LOCALS
[test] INSTANCE
[this] TABLE
If I don't have any parameters for opertor(), then it works fine. Am I missing something about the _call metamethod? It can take parameters, can't it? Now the comment: You may have noticed that the code above uses wide character strings. If I define SQPLUS_SUPPORT_STD_STRING, then string works, but wstring doesn't. I propose that instead of:
inline void Push( HSQUIRRELVM v, const std::string & value ) { sq_pushstring( v, value.c_str(), -1 ); }
inline bool Match( TypeWrapper< const std::string & >, HSQUIRRELVM v, int idx ) { return sq_gettype( v, idx ) == OT_STRING; }
inline std::string Get( TypeWrapper< const std::string & >, HSQUIRRELVM v, int idx ) { const SQChar * s; SQPLUS_CHECK_GET( sq_getstring( v, idx, &s ) ); return std::string( s ); }

It be:
inline void Push( HSQUIRRELVM v, const std::basic_string< SQChar > & value ) { sq_pushstring( v, value.c_str(), -1 ); }
inline bool Match( TypeWrapper< const std::basic_string< SQChar > & >, HSQUIRRELVM v, int idx ) { return sq_gettype( v, idx ) == OT_STRING; }
inline std::basic_string< SQChar > Get( TypeWrapper< const std::basic_string< SQChar > & >, HSQUIRRELVM v, int idx ) { const SQChar * s; SQPLUS_CHECK_GET( sq_getstring( v, idx, &s ) ); return std::basic_string< SQChar >( s ); }

As far as I've tested it, it seems to work correctly. I suppose one could add the definitions for wstring instead, since I'm not entirely sure if SqChar will always be char or wchar_t, and that basic_string< SqChar > will be equivalent to string and wstring. jfl.

Not clear why the metamethod _call does not work, perhaps trace the code to see if it's an SqPlus issue or language issue, or change the code slightly (register doCall() instead of _call):

SquirrelObject script = SquirrelVM::CompileBuffer(
L"local test = Test();\n"
L"test.doCall( 3 );" );

Also perhaps test the _call method in pure script code (and post question on Squirrel forum).

String change: please post on the Squirrel forum for feedback; if no objections, I'll make the changes to SqPlus.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Binding operator() to a normal method works fine. I wonder if it has anything to do with _call's parameters: function _call(original_this,params…).

Anyway, I started two threads on the squirrel forums:
- [SqPlus] Binding _call to operator() with parameters
- [SqPlus] Support for wstring

jfl.

This topic is 4139 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.