Applet problems

Started by
5 comments, last by FlaiseSaffron 17 years, 7 months ago
On a few people's computers, applets for games I make run into a problem. They appear only as a red X, despite applet technology being installed. Most people don't get this, only one or two, but it's serious enough to warrant looking at. Can you help me figure out what could be going on?
Advertisement
Its possible that their browser has java/applets disabled or a high security state not allowing the applet to run.

[edit] Its been a while since ive used java but you might want to see if there was some initialization error as well. Have the people getting the problem check the java console to see if any errors appear... it might help you get a general idea of whats going on.
There's no initialization error. I checked; the program itself is fine.

So then how specifically would I check to see whether or not applets were enabled by the browser?
I'm bumping this because I still have no sufficient answer and this problem could really hurt my ability to go forward with making these games.
Well, which web browser are the error'd people using when opening the Applet?
Also, as for checking if the web browser allows applets... I was looking through some Internet Explorer settings.
Go to Tools, Internet Options, Security Tab, and then "Custom Level."
I saw some Java things mentioned at the bottom. Maybe you'll find some problems with their setting in there?
Alright, I'll check back with the person and see if that solves the problem.

Also, since the page I plan to start will consist entirely of applet games on the browser, I'll need to have a pretty simplified download link for the minimum Java updates required to run applets, in the case of computers that lack them. Can anybody help me figure out which downloads are simplest to install as bare minimums?
I believe you are looking for the JRE, which can be found here: http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/index-1.4.html.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement