Sign in to follow this  

Using ifstream functions on an std::string

This topic is 4170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible, on Windows, to treat an std::string object as if it was a file and use the std::ifstream functions on it? I have a hunch that yes, it is possible, if I use C++ streams. But can someone direct me to some specific functions I can use for this? I'm basically hoping to use the std::ifstream::getline() function on a string since that function has support for delimiters. It's a shame that std::string does not have a function similar to explode() in PHP (and I suppose many other languages), which allows for a string to be broken up into several strings by use of a delimiting character. Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote:

Is it possible, on Windows, to treat an std::string object as if it was a file and use the std::ifstream functions on it?

std::stringstream. Use the header <sstream>. This is part of the SC++L and is not Windows-specific.

Quote:

It's a shame that std::string does not have a function similar to explode() in PHP (and I suppose many other languages), which allows for a string to be broken up into several strings by use of a delimiting character.

Boost has a string algorithm library that provides this functionality, and more.

Sign in to follow this