Question about C++

Started by
11 comments, last by memento_mori 17 years, 8 months ago
Is it possible to create a program in C++ that has pictures, buttons... in it insteasd of that window with a black backround and white text?
Advertisement
Yes.

What you are currently writing is something called a console application. You want to look into using a Win32 Application project if you are using Visual Studio, if not, well its named something very similar in most other IDEs so poke around.

If you want to display real-time graphics then you will need to start working with a graphics API such as OpenGL, SDL or Direct3D. Google for any of these names and you will get lots of help.

Hope that helps,

Dave
How would I make like a menu where you click on whatever you want (as aposed to arrow keys and enter)

and are any of those programs free?
You will have to start learning the WIN32 API for that. Alternatively you can use wxWidgets, a rapper for the WIN32 API, to make your programs.

Google WIN32 and wxWidgets.

If you want a bog standard windows app, try C#.

Dave
It sounds like you might want to look into Java instead of C++ (java is much easier for creating a very quick and easy GUI)
Mitchen Games
I've tried java but the only compiler I can find is on the java home page and I can't figure out how to installed right...
I strongly recommend C# for this. Java is fine ofcourse.
What is C#?
Qt4 is a very easy and clean cross-platform (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows) C++ API for writing applications, and also lets you embed OpenGL contexts.

Check it out: http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/index
Quote:Original post by fishfin
I've tried java but the only compiler I can find is on the java home page and I can't figure out how to installed right...

There's two really good IDEs that you could try (both free). Netbeans and JCreator ...google either one. They're both very good.
Mitchen Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement