General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
Wow I am old 30 ... Lead a small team of game coders by night,lead programmer of a ecommerce solution for Australias largest retailer by day. Freelance journo for a oz gamemag (PCPowerplay) in between. Wrote my first game on a Microbee 16 years ago ...
Where has my life gone ... sob sob sob
Advertisement
I'm 24 and a professional game programmer, at least usually. Have been doing this as a paying job for about 3-4 years now, give or take. Started programming on a Laser-128 around '86 just as a small hobby. Didnt take it seriously until college. Previous works include Sim Park, Sim Safari, Episode I Racer, X-Wing Alliance, The Phantom Menace, Grim Fandango, and a few others. Currently working on various sorts of things for a new company that are entertainment related, but not necessarily games. --Nolan (rasputin@value.net)
guess I'll chime in here too. I first started programming when I was in forth grade (which was like 8 years ago). It was only BASIC though. I did some calculator programming (TI-83, if it was still so simple) in my junior year, and learned HTML/javascript. For jscript, c++ came surprisingly easy. I learned c++ in the first half of my senior year ( I had a free block second period for a long time), then I went to be the assistant teacher in the newly started AP Comp Sci. class (yes, assistant teacher, I made sure it was specificly that), which was an easy A, 6 points on my transcript, and lets me say I did it on resumes (btw, I scored a 4 on my test, which is like the only thing I've ever done right). Now, I just graduated HS, and am trying to get enough cash to go to full sails.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org
I'm 24, a professional games programmer with just over two years experience and currently working in London.

But I have to ask....Fel...how come you don't do this for a living? Satellite control interfaces too much fun? Or is there a mortgage to pay?

27 (until a few minutes ago, I didn't consider that a high age ), engineer, been programming since .. well forever.. C64, Amiga (Dexion, if anyone care to know ), Now PC (Not that I like it (The PC that is), beeing an electronics enginner by education, how can you feel anything but pitty on the PC HW architecture ). Anywayz, currently spending my dayz working in a small startup on a VERY cool technology: Array based logic, and the nights writing games (currently on-line massive multiplayer in Java)... (And yes, I should really get a life )

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Im 21 and a final year degree student, should get my Bsc(Hons) at the end of it finally! Been coding all my life from C64 to Amiga, DOS and now Windows Direct X.

Just started looking for jobs in the games industry to take my graphics and video programming skills to the limit, even though I am Technical manager for a small development studio but I want to develop games not Multimedia.

I guess I'm the old man so far - 33. Just got into the industry after writing business apps for 6 years.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

So Machaira, how are you finding it?
I've never worked in business apps, does it have it's advantages over games?
This is like a roll call, so Ill chime in too.

Im 24, been programming for something like 14-15 years in non-BASIC, few before that in BASIC but I never did anything substantial. I moved into doing text RPGs, BBS games, BBSes. Went the C64->Amiga->PC route and for the past year Ive had my own game dev co, which is working out pretty well (hell, I consider it a major success just to stay in business...)

-Geoff

I'm 23 and I've been working on games professionally for only a few months now. I consider myself very lucky as working on games was my first job after graduating from college. I could have gone into business programming as it pays more (like $10k more starting), but money isn't everything...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement