c++ question

Started by
21 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 7 months ago
[google]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Not to sound stupid (altough I do) but what is a blender?

Blender is a 3D modeling package, similar to 3DSMax and the like.
cool. Makes no sense to me, but cool. Don't worry, I'll learn (it's why I'm here)
... I probably won't be using one until I learn C++ anyway (QBASIC just sucks, man).

Although I recommend that you DO learn C++ for serious programming, I feel compeled to defend my old pal QBASIC because thats how I cut my teeth as a programmer. Used correctly, QB is really quite powerful, moreso than its given credit for. I've created relatively simple 3D games, FF3 style RPGs and applications with complex UIs using some of the freely available libraries. I've implimented some of these games using techniques borrowed from Object Oriented Programming, and written a program with over 100K of source code.

Is QB antiquated? Sure, but there's still much that can be done with it and by no means does it suck. Some of us like the old classics, much like an old car, even though they're not always as practical as the shiney new ones. C++ is my daily driver, QB is like a 57 Caddy a father gives his son on his 16th birthday, it taught me how to drive and its nice to take a spin in it once in awhile :D

---

On topic, The discussion of BASIC brings up a good point. There's a product called DarkBasic which combines a BASIC dialect with the kinds of functionality you are after, though I don't know specifically if it supports blended (I'd imagine it does though) That might be worth checking out. Its not quite as robust as C++ but it provides the sort of community support that many beginners can thrive in.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Quote:Original post by Ravyne
On topic, The discussion of BASIC brings up a good point. There's a product called DarkBasic which combines a BASIC dialect with the kinds of functionality you are after, though I don't know specifically if it supports blended (I'd imagine it does though) That might be worth checking out. Its not quite as robust as C++ but it provides the sort of community support that many beginners can thrive in.

Good suggestion. If you want to stick to C++ though there is also plenty of C++ oriented game and render engines out there as well as plenty of free tools and various other libraries. Have a looksy here for some suggestions. Scan through their lists of features before you start getting involved with one to make sure it does everything you want. Also check to make sure they have an active forum with plenty of members so that you can ask for help and trade ideas. This will probably be the best way to get you started since you'll be able to acheive almost instant results this way so its less discouraging for the beginner and you also know that the people you're confering with at the forum are using the same codebase as you which will make it easier to ask for help. Once you start getting in to it you'll no doubt want to start creating your own engines and low level implementations like most of us around here ^^. Have fun
[size="1"] [size="4"]:: SHMUP-DEV ::
I'm trying to make a QBASIC-like PUT function in C++. Here's some pseudo-code...

Put(x1, y1, array){
(For y = y1, y <
my post got cut off! Crap!
Okay, I'm trying to make a QBASIC-like PUT function in C++. I tried to post some code but it got cut off and I don't feel like typing it all again. what I need to know is...
How can I find the size of an array? How can I tell if it has 5 members or 50?

Sorry for posting in this thread, but I don't have email so I can't register and start new threads.
Sorry for posting in this thread, but I don't have email so I can't register and start new threads.

Ninja a thread like this isn't too nice, and the solution to not do it is here.
Quote:

Get a free mail account in Yahoo or something and register. You can't hijack people's threads like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement