Irish Company Promises Free Energy Device

Started by
151 comments, last by Dmytry 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by John Schultz
After Average Joe sees it, he will say, "OK, I could not find any power coord or obvious battery or chemical/solar/radiological/infrared/microwave/beam power source. Now let's have independant third parties look it over to prove that it's really generating Free Energy".

I think we agree here. Showing a "working" machine PROVES nothing about the machine, BUT, it's such an obvious first step towards proving they're not a hoax. So, I dunno. I'd like to see a working machine, but I can see how orchestrating a public demonstration might seem like a big PR-stunt-waste-of-time from their perspective.

Quote:Alternatively, they don't ever need scientific scrutiny. Just sell a Free Energy light bulb.

The pesn.com article (linked by DogCity) has a section on commercialization that covers this. They are a small company with no manufacturing infrastructure.

Quote:If this isn't a fraud, why didn't they take the Free $1,010,000 for a working FE device?

Hehe, I think you've poked some good holes in this thing so far, but... please! :) No respectable technology company would touch these contests with a 30-foot pole. The Randi contest:
Quote:One Million Dollars awaits the individual who can prove, in a controlled setting, that they have "super" powers."

The Krieg contest:
Quote:the device to be tested shall not exceed 6 ft on any dimension unless per prior agreement. (My garage is only so big)

I can see the newspaper headline now, "Irish company uses it's super powers to win $10k garage contest"

Hoax or not, I think these Steorn guys are playing this pretty well.
Advertisement
The Steorn webpage looks just a little too slick, and odd to me. What is the point of posting how many scientists have registered an interest to investigate it, and the number of registrants who want the results? Those numbers would only be useful to a marketing department. I'm calling this a viral ad marketing hoax, or another stupid student doing a sociology experiment.
Quote:Original post by undersan
Quote:If this isn't a fraud, why didn't they take the Free $1,010,000 for a working FE device?

Hehe, I think you've poked some good holes in this thing so far, but... please! :) No respectable technology company would touch these contests with a 30-foot pole. The Randi contest:
Quote:One Million Dollars awaits the individual who can prove, in a controlled setting, that they have "super" powers."

The Krieg contest:
Quote:the device to be tested shall not exceed 6 ft on any dimension unless per prior agreement. (My garage is only so big)

I can see the newspaper headline now, "Irish company uses it's super powers to win $10k garage contest"

Hoax or not, I think these Steorn guys are playing this pretty well.

James Randi is a well known debunker; Krieg stated that the offer applies to FE devices (not clear from Randi's site; appears more aimed at paranormal power claims). However, if both parties would be willing to put the money into escrow and sign a legally binding contract, it's an easy, guaranteed, cool $1,010,000. Any respectable business of any kind that could make $1,010,000 for virtually no effort would take the free money.

Mastaba- agreed; laughed out loud when I read your post! Good stuff (though if a student project, kudos for generating attention and promoting debate).

Given the number of antigravity claims (and patents!) that use Bismuth, it's only a matter of time before Proctor & Gamble get in on the "Steorn Marketing Method": "Use Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth Subsalicylate) to lose weight through exclusive anti-gravity technology (magnets not included)". More info on bismuth and magnets here.
Quote:Original post by undersan
Ok, a question for all you guys: How do you show off a FE machine to the average joe?

You don't need to. You need to show it off to the scientific community. This is quite simple, and people have been doing it for years.

CM
DogCity, Prozak:

route 1: learn at least *some* physics(i'm not asking to take physics as absolute truth btw, just some knowledge), look at their patent (any scientist need only to look at patent and laugh.)

route 2: learn something about how things were done, how hoaxes were done, apprecitate the patterns, look at their website.

[Edited by - Dmytry on August 22, 2006 1:28:31 AM]
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
DogCity, Prozak:

route 1: learn at least *some* physics(i'm not asking to take physics as absolute truth btw, just some knowledge), look at their patent (any scientist need only to look at patent and laugh.)

route 2: learn something about how things were done, how hoaxes were done, apprecitate the patterns, look at their website.

You're making two mistakes. First, you think I belive them. I don't. All I stated previously is that all of this is being *very* well done, but for what purposes, it eludes us all at the moment.

Second, you tell me to go learn more physics. That means you think you know me.

You're defending your point so hard, you're actually sounding crazier than them. Have you noticed that no one here actually believes them?

...apart from people defending the point of view that sometimes science "suffers" breakthroughs...
Prozak: You're defending your point so hard, you're actually sounding crazier than me.[smile] Have you noticed that no one here (including myself) actually said that science never "suffers" breakthroughs?
Why you are "defending the point of view that sometimes science "suffers" breakthroughs" when nobody were ever attacking this view? is it so unreasonable a guess that you were defending something different e.g. likehood of it being discovery of some energy source even if not classic perpetual motion type?

You can see, i have indeed acknowledged that sometimes there is real scientific breakthroughs. I also said that it is quite rare (see history of science), and the bigger claim is the rarer.

[also, i argued with LessBread on cold fusion offtopic, which is part of older discussion.]

"Second, you tell me to go learn more physics. That means you think you know me." no, i don't think i "know" you. Nonetheless, when interacting over forum, people tend to learn something about eachother.
DogCity, Prozak:

Yup. Just as Prozak said, you are assuming I think this device works, nothing could be more contrary. I certainly believe that devices do exist which can harvest an as yet unrecognized energy source - but not create energy from nothing, thats just silly. As with Prozak, I'm defending the action they have taken. The people jumping straight in talking about scams and marketing are the ones who need to do their homework. This is NOT in any way similar to past scams or viral marketing campaigns, Steorn is an established, viable company with a good public image and clearly a highly profitable enterprise in previous years. I'm not ruling out the possibility of this being either marketing or scam, i'm simply saying that from this observers point of view the company has done everything I would expect a legit company to do with this technology in their laps.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
No, i'm not assuming that you think this device works as they say, or that you think it works at all. I'm assuming that you think what you just wrote. Can i assume that at least?
DogCity, Prozak:

As a non-scientist (I'm a game designer/creative director), could you expand on this point a little? I'd personally welcome some real analysis on what they have presented, and would appreciate your opinion on what obvious flaws they have made in their patent that shows it to be illegitimate and/or a hoax.
--------------------------------------------Rockpool GamesMani Golf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement