Sign in to follow this  
Ex777

Simple Direct3d rendering engine

Ex777    133
Hello, I'm in serious need of a relatively simple (basic) rendering engine for direct3d. I don’t need large full fledged game engines like irrlitch, and ogre, just something simple, that I can examine, and learn from. If you know of anything like this, please help out .

Ex777    133
Basic rendering operations, lighting, shading, particles, 2d sprites, ect. nicely wrapped into some object oriented class heirarchy. Thats all I really want, give me a basic idea of how I should structure current and future rendering engines.

Ex777    133
By simple I ment Basic, in witch I would imagine that there would be such a thing somewhere around the net. I'll use Ogre, Irrlitch, and DXUT as examples from now on, thanks.

Havok1989    101
well i e-mailed someone from ID Software for some beginning game development tips he told me well actually it's best to download some of their engine + quake game sources to learn the basics and than later always make better.
Im doing this im learning many things pretty quick now try it yourself : http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/ they are pro's so i think they aren't leading me the wrong way :) i think id software cares more about their people than valve im not mad i know they are very busy but still they can atleast reply but ID Software is very different and kind and helping people.
I hope this can help u a bit more btw download 1 of the full sources that includes the renderer and particle system code etc :).
It's GPL.

Ex777    133
Thank you very much :D but, I was looking more for an Object Oriented design, witch the Quake 2 engine does not have (sadly).

Krohm    5030
Quote:
Original post by Ex777
Thank you very much :D but, I was looking more for an Object Oriented design, witch the Quake 2 engine does not have (sadly).

It does have (as soon as you don't mind using struct instead of class and building the vftable yourself.
I also point you to ID. Ogre, as far as I've looked at it, is a very advanced framework but far from being an engine by my definitions (this is personal "engine" definition, which is debatable, but that's my opinion).

Ex777    133
While I like the design of Ogre, being Object Oriented, it's to large for me to try to get a handle on. I simply need something without such a bulky design.

imbusy    106
And I forgot: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/enginuity1/ .
It's not Direct3D, but I don't think you're looking for particularly Direct3D one.

Ex777    133
Wow, thank you so much, originaly I was expecting a Direct X framework/engine what ever you want to call it, re-thinking my stratagie, I can easily change the OGL code to Direct X, the Enginuity series is perfect, thank you so much.