Question about Visual C++ 2005 EE

Started by
4 comments, last by eektor 17 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to create an .exe file for my game and I'm not sure how. What I've been doing is building and then I either do start with debugging or with out debugging. Now I looked all over the files and I do not see a .exe file for the game. How do I make that with this IDE? Also, I heard you can make a release and a debug version, I would like to make the release if it takes less space.
Advertisement
Once you build it, it should be in \%project dir%\debug
If it's not there, it didn't build properly. Go back to the IDE and view the build log, see what errors occured.
Quote:Original post by eektor
Also, I heard you can make a release and a debug version, I would like to make the release if it takes less space.

See that combobox in the toolbar that reads "debug"? It does exactly what it looks like it does.

Your IDE contains a lot of controls that you can click, right-click, double-click and plenty of menus, submenus, dialogs ... explore them. That's how you learn.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Ok, maybe there's my problem. It builds fine but when I double click on the .exe file it never works. When I start it from the IDE it works though.

I looked through alot of the commands, I thought it had something to do with batch build to get a release version but everytime I tried getting it to work it didn't build properly.
Quote:Original post by eektor
It builds fine but when I double click on the .exe file it never works. When I start it from the IDE it works though.

You say it doesn't work
What does happen?

Nothing, an error, a crash, be specific.

One possibility is that you are loading external files - when run from the IDE VS looks for the files in the project directory - when directly executed you'll need to put them in the same directory as the executable
It crashes, it doesn't start period.

I have the files in the Project Name\ Project Name folder and not the Project Name \ debug folder with the .exe file Is that the problem?

Edit: That worked thanks a lot. Would that .exe file most likely be the debug version or the release version? Well, right now it probably doesn't make a difference for me but it would be nice to know for later. Would doing the batch build marking the release version give you an .exe for the release? I get errors and it seems like it all relates to SDL functions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement