request for information

Started by
10 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 7 months ago
hello all im a uni student, currently goin thru uni and come time i wanna start my final year project i wanna make a game not sum 2 page html &#106avascript server crap like others. coz game development is what i wanna get into. (after having spent 10mins tryin to remember username...that option should be available next to forgot password! rite ive bought and gone thru the book beginning c++ game programming (great book) and have gone thru so nicely. however as you ppl may be aware the book teaches about text programming. how do i now go about making a game with graphics...i mean im not tryin to do commercial type lol just either sumin tile based like mario or game like super alleste on snes where fighter goes upscreen and weapons get bigger and bigger with powerup (sky force on symbian/ngage). just wanna do sumin like that so its not like 5min game but it aint so damn hard but sumin to make a project out of for university.. any links, books on the graphics recommendation would be greatful, thank you all. btw i shall soon be working thru the workshop too in due time just to get eva so better at c++ :) great work staff putting into it!
Advertisement
Assuming you're using C++ I must tell you graphic programming is way harder than C++. You'll first need to know how to create basic Windows applications and then learn an API as OpenGL or DirectX Graphics (which there are complete books written for).

-Stenny

*cough*And for god's sake please write proper english*cough*
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
wow thanks for making it seem so damned hard but yes thanx i like worst case scenarios they help me in life lol. ok proper english ye? hehe i did also start working through beginning directX game programming or was it opengl....kind of did that made shapes and stuff but like is that also used on such tile map games or those titles i listed? because im not aiming for no first person shooter here....but if that is also required still then i guess i just continue. i just thought that itself was a little advanced for what im doing/gonna do.
Whahaha, I'm glad you realise game creating takes more than a free 3-click program with which you can create MMORPG that are better than World of Warcraft (as a lot of new guys here do).

As far as I can help you I would have a look at www.directtutorial.com if I were you. It clearly explaines how to create Windows Applications and how to use DirectX. Watch out though. DirectX is only for games on Windows.

And of course creating graphic games on your own is not impossible-hard, there are a lot of people who do it (including me), but I just want you to know it's harder than basic C++. Don't get scared if you see your first WINAPI codes though, you'll get them eventually[grin]. No seriously, it's quite clear if you take a close look at it with directtutorial...

And if you need help you can always ask here, eh?

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
thanx stenny, site seems to b cool, well so i guess ill continue my quest then for the ultimate RPG EVA! :D ye oki will look at site seems nice and then i guess recontinue where i left off on the directX book. and also work on chapters here should steadily build my knowledge. thanx. all others can post and leave their links n stuff TIA!
I See you're on the same quest as I am[grin].

-Stenny
If you're on a schedule, I suggest you don't try to make a game for a project... It's much harder than you think to create even the most simplest tic tac toe game in C++, not to mention a mario like game, especially that you're new to programming...

But if you're really interested in games programming (and not just for uni project) then well done, you have come to the right place...

And once you'r good with C++ and want to start with graphics, I suggest you start with OpenGL and not DirectX though (presonal opinion)

Good Luck
SDL might be worth a look. Seems to be well respected round here.
ye am about to start my final year which ive split to 2 years, so im not startin my project until next academic year. ive done java, eiffel, vb, and am doin well on c++ having completed that book, im still gonna do bit more on c++ and yes im thinkin ill do opengl first too but stennies site on dx sems cool no harm in tryin. but ye even so not like im free i got uni and part time job i guess upto me see if i can do or not.
Yeah well Stenny's tutorial is very good, though incomplete...
I haven't personally learned Direct3D yet, but I will soon. But I definately know a little bit about it, and I think it's easier to learn the basics of 3d programming in OPENGL, as I did.

Here are 2 much better and complete tutorials of OPENGL for you;

1) The official OpenGL RedBook - PDF - Although a little old, but still very valuable and complete, and of course free...

2) Nehe Tutorials - Needless to say more, everyone knows Nehe

Good Luck to you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement